Re-plumbing disposal for single center-drain sink

Users who are viewing this thread

Justin Smith

Reaction score
Hello, new to the forum. Very novice at plumbing but good DIYer. Looking for some help on options for reinstalling my disposal on a single drain sink. I know it has been addresses in other threads but cant find specifics on my issue. Just moved into a new house and realized the previous owners removed the disposal and just have a drain on the new sink they installed. Confused as to why they didn't put the disposal back in, I investigated and it looks like they should have bought an offset drain instead of center because the disposal is too tall to fit without hitting the drain line. They left us the disposal just sitting in the garage so I'd like to figure out a way to install it. Pics attached of the current setup. Can I just cut the black drain pipe back to make enough clearance and then elbow into it after the P-trap? any issues with gluing a coupling onto the black drain pipe? Thanks for the help.

Attachments

• disp_1.jpg
    disp_1.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 691
  • disp_2.jpg
    disp_2.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 434

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
You can spin the disposer on the drain, and if needed you can plumb from the wall with a 45 degree fitting to put the p-trap over to one side.
This one comes straight out, but there are many ways to connect your disposer.

disposer-piping-3.jpg

Justin Smith

Reaction score
You can spin the disposer on the drain, and if needed you can plumb from the wall with a 45 degree fitting to put the p-trap over to one side.
This one comes straight out, but there are many ways to connect your disposer.

disposer-piping-3.jpg
Thank you sir! So, just for clarification, I would need to cut the black drain behind the AAV then 45 out right from the wall, reinstall the AAV and then plumb p-trap as normal, correct? Thanks for the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Thank you sir! So, just for clarification, I would need to cut the black drain behind the AAV then 45 out right from the wall, reinstall the AAV and then plumb p-trap as normal, correct? Thanks for the help!
How about a side view of the entry into the wall? Or a bottom view... We are looking for pipe that does not have something glued to it.

There is a special tool that could maybe cut that fitting away if there is not enough un-glued pipe at the wall. I think you are going to have a problem. How about a sink with a drain that is off-center?

Last edited:

Justin Smith

Reaction score
How about a side view of the entry into the wall? Or a bottom view... We are looking for pipe that does not have something glued to it.

There is a special tool that could maybe cut that fitting away if there is not enough un-glued pipe at the wall. I think you are going to have a problem. How about a sink with a drain that is off-center?

That was my concern. looks like it is glued up close to the wall. Don't think I have enough room to come out of the 45 after the AAV either. Any other options apart from a new sink?

Attachments

• disp_3.jpg
    disp_3.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 344
  • disp_4.jpg
    disp_4.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 374
Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Pipe Parana is the tool that I am aware of.

If you removed the escutcheon, that would give you a little more room for a 45 to glue onto. It also seems possible that the wood around the pipe could be cut away some to let the new 45 extend a little recessed to the surface of the wall. I am not a plumber, and I have never used a tool like Pipe Parana.

When you glue an elbow, put an unglued piece of pipe into the open end to help you be sure you get the slope correct. You could sand down that piece of pipe used as a guide to let it slip into the hub more easily without glue.

Last edited:

Justin Smith

Reaction score
Thanks for the help here. Is there a best practice/code requirement for how much gluing overlap I’ll need to be safe?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks