Re-piping few question, need some one to look at pipe design.

Users who are viewing this thread

C Wolford

Reaction score
So currently I have water pressure issues, assuming its from old build up in the lines (confirmed this for the hot water adjustment at the shower is broken due to low pressure messing up the pressure balance valve ), also maybe from line layout design. If tub is fill or shower is on and I turn on the kitchen sink I get nothing for a few seconds then bam it works. I have been planing a re pipe, and i'm ready to start.
My current install info:

This is a small 1000 sq foot house 1975 built.
It has 3/4 CPVC coming into the house.

at some point within the first 4 feet it is downside to 1/2 copper and that is ran to the water heater and ever thing else.

there is no trunk and branch design, its all 1/2 copper.

pipe is ran in a small (L) from the corner of the house to a wet wall in the middle of the home.

from the corner of the home the pipe runs 12 feet then turns and run 8 feet to the hot water heater.

The wet wall is 5 foot away from the water heater, the wall opposite of it.

the main runs to the house bibs, before it splits up to the shut off under the kitchen sink then back down to continue the L of pipe work. ( the shut offs are 1/2 copper gate)

My plan: (Run copper pex manifold for my supply. )
I will be using sioux chief complete line, PEX A and all there fittings tools, and shutoffs, but I will be using f1807. They say it will work, I have the tool, its cheaper on me. why them? they have an great warranty, that does not have the clause " must be installed by licenced plumber" and its 100% USA.

Install:
run from the 3/4 CPVC or the 1/2 copper to a Whole house 2 stage water filter (flow rate 12 GPM).

water filter "T" off to water heater and cold manifold with 3/4 PEX.

Come off water heater with 3/4 pex to the hot manifold. (after the required amount of metal pipe)

All supply lines from manifolds will be 1/2 inch PEX but for the feed to the bathtub, It will be 3/4 inch PEX.

I have two options:
Hot Manifold 3/4 feed line less than 3 foot, with all supply lines around 9 foot. Or
Hot Manifold 3/4 feed line 7 foot, with all supply lines less than 6 foot, but for kitchen changing to about 12 foot.

Questions
I am worried about tub fill rate, thats why its at 3/4 PEX. Is this over kill?

Should I run 3/4 copper or 3/4 CPVC to water filter, cold manifold and water heater feed? I am concerned with not fixing my issues, but the math with flow rates and all seem to work out with 3/4 PEX if I did them right. I just don't want to end up with the same issue cause I know ID of 3/4 is ~1/2 copper.

Thanks for the help, and I hope I made this all clear.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I didn't analyze the scheme you provided, nor do I crunch numbers.. it generally looks good either way. You can upsize anything and not worry about it.. almost no downside except storing / displacing a bit more water thru that run. The cost of the material is negligible in those lengths

How big of a tub are you filling? Will your tub filler valve benefit from a larger supply or is it a 1/2" valve which has 3/8" or smaller openings

I did have a walk in tub installed with a 1/2" shower valve that ended up taking 10 min to fill. Swapped it out with a 3/4 filler and 3/4 PEX and which took under 5 min to fill.. If you're in the tub nekkid waiting makes a big difference.. if you're filling outside, not as much.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks