Any benefit upsizing from meter?

Users who are viewing this thread

kybob

Reaction score
I have 3/4 supply from the city and will be running it ~60 ft from the meter to my manifold (3/4 or 1" inlet TBD). PEX is inexpensive and upsizing from 3/4 to 1 is negligible but is there any benefit to going larger for that 60 ft run if I don't have any plans to upsize the city supply any time soon?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Its extremely common that the line to meter is smaller than the mainline downstream of the meter . a 3/4 metter with a 1 inch or 1 1/4 even 1 1/2 " isnt uncomon depends on your needs personally unless its a tiny house I run 1 inch minimum 60 ft run It would be silly to run small pipe just because a small pipe is there when we size pipe by the book we get MINIMUM pipe size thats not the maximum pipe size

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes there is benifit to upsizing. Especially with pex. Pex has a major loss in pressure compared to copper. The bigger the pipe the less pressure you lose. Plus you can add onto the run of pipe any time and not worry about being too small.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks