Ratcheting crescent wrenches for plumbers

Users who are viewing this thread

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
I'm looking to purchase a set of ratcheting crescent wrenches that can be used to install supply lines, etc. But it seems that all the ratcheting crescent wrenches are closed at the ratcheting end, and they need to be open when there is a supply line involved. Aside from a telescoping basin wrench, is there a set of wrenches out there that open up at the ratcheting end?

Eric

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
wrench

I think you mean ratcheting "open end" wrenches, rather than Crescent® wrenches. They are made, but are rather bulky in order to accomodate the circular ring that makes them ratcheting, and you have to be able to free them so that you can line up the opening to get them off.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
master plumber mark said:
the RIGID Telescopeing Basin Wrench pretty much has that covered

and I have never run across anything that is more versatile

I recently purchased the Wheeler Rex 9400 telescoping basin wrench, but they haven't shipped it out yet. Is that one just as good?

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
Hey Boy,

I'm with Mark on this, We use basin wrenches,(see image) to install our supplies, that's what they're made for. Your Wheeler Rex 9400 telescoping basin wrench looks just like the Ridgid I put up. It's gonna work out just fine. Regards, Tom

Attachments

• Adjustable Basin Wrench.jpg
    Adjustable Basin Wrench.jpg
    955 bytes · Views: 338
Last edited:

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
speedball1 said:
Hey Boy,

I'm with Mark on this, We use basin wrenches,(see image) to install our supplies, that's what they're made for. Your Wheeler Rex 9400 telescoping basin wrench looks just like the Ridgid I put up. It's gonna work out just fine. Regards, Tom

I found out the hard way that looks can be deceiving. Black and Decker products look like real tools, but in fact they are garbage and I've thrown them in the trash where they belong.

Anyway, I just received the W. R. basin wrench and part of the spring is sticking way out like it has been sprung already. Tension is still good though. Am I worried for nothing?

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
"I just received the W. R. basin wrench and part of the spring is sticking way out like it has been sprung already. Tension is still good though. Am I worried for nothing?"

I'm not familiar with your wrench. I have a Ridgid Adjustable and you can't see the spring. could you scan in a picture? Regards Tom

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
speedball1 said:
I'm not familiar with your wrench. I have a Ridgid Adjustable and you can't see the spring. could you scan in a picture? Regards Tom

My picture is 500 kb and the max you can upload is 100 kb. I don't know how to convert it to low resolution. I used a digital camera.

Eric

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
Conversion

Put the picture on yor harddrive where you know where it is.

Click on http://convert.neevia.com/index.aspx

this will bring up Neeva. Here's the setting you'll have to change:

(1) Settings
Output format--JPEG
Resolution-- 100
Quality --75
go to (2) Select the file
select your picture
(3) Delivery-- save to file

Right click on properties to check the size and then just attach it to your post
Neeva will walk you through the process. Good luck, Tom

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well, it didn't go easy. Even at 10 resolution and 30 quality, the file was still 112 KB. I had to print out the picture, scan it back into my computer, then convert this lower res. image to an even lower res. to get under 97KB.
You can still make out the spring sticking out though (on the left).

Eric

Last edited:

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
Hi Eric,

Not to worry. I thought the spring went "sprong"and popped most of it out.
My Ridgid shows about the same expanse of spring showing.
Regards, Tom

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good, then I won't worry about it.

The name "speedball" can be associated with an old game played back in the 1920's-1950's, a new game akin to paintball, or a mixture of cocaine and heroin used by drug addicts. :cool:

Eric

speedball1

Retired plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.askme.com
Verdeboy said:
Good, then I won't worry about it.

The name "speedball" can be associated with an old game played back in the 1920's-1950's, a new game akin to paintball, or a mixture of cocaine and heroin used by drug addicts. :cool:

Eric

Hi Eric,
GUESS!!

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
There's a saying in 12 step groups that "there are no old addicts" (because addicts don't live very long). So that rules that one out. If you're really active, you might be into paintball. But I'm going with the old speedball game from the early to mid part of last century. I grew up in the sixties and seventies, so I never played it.

Eric

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks