Camper, replacing Qest with Pex

Users who are viewing this thread

Charp

Reaction score
I have most of it done except a couple things. Every fixture got an angle stop so when something goes wrong at least the whole system doesnt have to be shut off. I'm trying to find a close quarters 90 swivel fitting for the supply line to the outside shower valve. I'm not having much luck and I figure a real plumber will chime in and say "here it is dummy".
PXL_20230907_021333277.jpg

This is what I pulled out, I think the brass one was connected to the valve. It's 1/2" on the valve and 3/8" on the anglestop.
Then there's the toilet. I can't disconnect the Qest supply line. I can get a couple fingers on the nut but it won't budge and there isn't enough room for a basin wrench, so I have to pull the toilet. What kind of small diameter flexible line should I use from the angle stop under the sink, snaked down below the fiberglass floor under the toilet? It was plumbed with 3/8 Qest that barely fit. Toilet is above the black water tank and tank drain plumbing. Under the floor I can install a Tee, run a braided supply line up to the toilet and install some sort of valve on the Tee to be able to drain the toilet supply for winterizing.
Thanks for any help!

Reach4

Reaction score
" I'm trying to find a close quarters 90 swivel fitting for the supply line to the outside shower valve. "
I am not sure what you are saying. Are you saying you want something similar to what have in your photo? So you don't need swiveling while under pressure in that case.

A digital caliper can be helpful in identifying what thread you are connecting to. I am partial to the Harbor Freight stainless steel models, but not so much with the plastic ones. There are others. The non-electric ones with a vernier scale are harder to read, but they are accurate too. And no dead batteries for them. https://www.geeksforgeeks.org/vernier-calliper/

So are you trying to connect to nominal 3/8 compression, 1/2 inch NPT, or what. Note that FIP, MIP, MNPT and FNPT are all NPT. Also nominal means "what we call it". The other thing that helps identify what connections you need is the thread pitch... Compression threads are finer.

I am not a plumber.

Reach4

Reaction score
I don't think it is normal to run flex lines thru the floor.

I think you are looking for a flex line with that right angle swivel connector. I looked, and I don't find that either.

NPSF and NPTF I think can both be put onto a NPS male. I think this is what is done atop water heaters and maybe on shower arms.

If that is true, I think you could put a regular FIP (NPSF) elbow on that connector, and bring a connector line to that that will connect to that. Alternatively, get a street right angle, and get a connector line that will hook to the MIP part of the 90.

brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-801939-64_100.jpg

brass-everbilt-brass-fittings-802019-64_100.jpg

I understand this is not the swivel type connection you were looking for. The angle of the 90 is determined by how much PTFE tape and how much torque you apply.

Maybe somebody will be aware of what you are looking for.

I would run the PEX thru walls or floors, and only switch to flex after that.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks