Pump is short cycling, not sure wha to do

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that something I can change out by myself? I mean if I disconnect power and start wrenching am i going to have a water geiser?
You would need to turn off the power and relieve the pressure by opening a faucet including the lowest one -- probably drain valve near the base of the pressure tank.
Also forgot to mention there is a rattling noise when the pump starts thats lasts throughout the pump cycle.
I don't know, but if if the rattle is coming from the check valve, it would seem to make sense that replacing the check valve would fix the rattle.

kodom

Reaction score
Replaced the check valve today, also had to buy some new piping and conduit. The rattle noise is gone but it still only fills to 32 psi, the pressure gauge does also still fall although very slowly now.

Reach4

Reaction score
Replaced the check valve today, also had to buy some new piping and conduit. The rattle noise is gone but it still only fills to 32 psi, the pressure gauge does also still fall although very slowly now.
How far down does the pressure drop before the pump turns on again?

When the pump shuts off, and the gauge says 32, temporarily close the valve that sends water to the house. What is the water pressure after 5 minutes? After 10 minutes? 20 minutes?

I think some drop is going to be normal as air gets released from the air release valve. I don't know how quickly that normally happens.

Anyway, if you want your pump to turn off at 40 PSI and it is turning off at 32, crank the nut on the big spring clockwise. It might be 2.8 turns, but maybe start with fewer turns.

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
Will the big spring only change cut off pressure?
It is intended affect both equally. You would usually want a 20 PSI differential.
Here are some notes:
To raise or lower the cut-in and cut-out settings while keeping the
differential between those two settings constant, adjust the range
nut. The range nut is the 3/8-inch nut that adjusts the larger of
the two springs in Models FSG, FYG, FRG, and Type G Pumptrol
switches.
Turn the range nut clockwise to increase the cut-in pressure and
counter-clockwise to lower the cut-in pressure. Three and a half
revolutions of the range nut will change both the cut-in and
cut-out settings by approximately 10 psi.​

Adjust the differential nut if you want to raise or lower the
cut-out setting while keeping the cut-in pressure constant. The
differential nut is the 3/8-inch nut that adjusts the smaller of
the two springs in Models FSG, FYG, FRG, and Type G switches. Turn
the differential nut clockwise to increase the cut-out pressure and
counter-clockwise to lower the cut-out pressure. Adjusting the
differential nut will change only the cut-out setting while the
cut-in setting remains unchanged.​

kodom

Reaction score
You guys are awesome I really appreciate it,ni have it set coming on at 19psi and shutting off at 35psi, still comes on pretty frequent. My daughter was in the shower and it has came on 3 times so far in 10 mins

Reach4

Reaction score
Presuming a 2 GPM showerhead, you would be getting about a 6 gallon drawdown, depending on pump run time. I don't know how that compares with what you should expect, but you might post a picture and provide dimensions.

I think I would adjust for say 20/4o or 30/50 or something in between. Somebody with experience with such tanks will probably have a better suggestion.

kodom

Reaction score
It's cool, I'll re adjust it tomorrow to 20/40.
Again, thank you so much for the help!

Presuming a 2 GPM showerhead, you would be getting about a 6 gallon drawdown, depending on pump run time. I don't know how that compares with what you should expect, but you might post a picture and provide dimensions.

I think I would adjust for say 20/4o or 30/50 or something in between. Somebody with experience with such tanks will probably have a better suggestion.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You guys are awesome I really appreciate it,ni have it set coming on at 19psi and shutting off at 35psi, still comes on pretty frequent. My daughter was in the shower and it has came on 3 times so far in 10 mins

That is what some people would call "normal cycling", which is still not good for the pump or the shower pressure. With your 19/35 pressure switch setting, a CSV1A would hold a constant 30 PSI for as long as the shower is on. The pump would never cycle, even if you were in the shower for a month. Here is a link to an explanation.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks