Please help: recommendation for Reverse Osmosis system for drinking

Users who are viewing this thread

Loiwin

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have received such great advice from many on this forum and didn’t know where else to post this. I did have a question as far as reverse osmosis systems under the sink for drinking, as it is very overwhelming with so many options and products.

I am looking for a basic (cost effective) but good RO system with good filtration but can add minerals back into the water for nutrients and taste (kind of how Costco markets their water). Also, I’d like it to use a ratio close of 1:1 as far as water consumption to produce a gallon, etc.

Please any help or recommendations would be great! Thank you!

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi all,

I have received such great advice from many on this forum and didn’t know where else to post this. I did have a question as far as reverse osmosis systems under the sink for drinking, as it is very overwhelming with so many options and products.

I am looking for a basic (cost effective) but good RO system with good filtration but can add minerals back into the water for nutrients and taste (kind of how Costco markets their water). Also, I’d like it to use a ratio close of 1:1 as far as water consumption to produce a gallon, etc.

Please any help or recommendations would be great! Thank you!
Some designer bottled producers add a proprietary mineral blend AFTER RO filtration to add a distinctive taste back to the water in an effort to make it more pleasing to the pallet. They make mineral packets you can buy to do the same to your RO water. An RO alone is not designed to do that. It is designed to remove TDS (total dissolved solids), which are organics and inorganics below 2 microns, including (mainly) salts and chlorides (among other contaminants). The generally rule of thumb is they generate up to 3 gallons of concentrate for every gallon of permeate.

Loiwin

Reaction score
Some designer bottled producers add a proprietary mineral blend AFTER RO filtration to add a distinctive taste back to the water in an effort to make it more pleasing to the pallet. They make mineral packets you can buy to do the same to your RO water. An RO alone is not designed to do that. It is designed to remove TDS (total dissolved solids), which are organics and inorganics below 2 microns, including (mainly) salts and chlorides (among other contaminants). The generally rule of thumb is they generate up to 3 gallons of concentrate for every gallon of permeate.

Is there a certain quality brand/manufacturer that you can recommend that would have a mineral filter after? Would this have the same effect of keeping minerals in the water? I would like to keep minerals for health purposes.

Also, you’re saying using 1 gallon of water would create 3 gallons of drinking water? I thought it was the other way around. Thanks

Reach4

Reaction score
Ioiwin is referring to using a remineralization cartridge.

Water Pro

In the Trades
Reaction score
Is there a certain quality brand/manufacturer that you can recommend that would have a mineral filter after? Would this have the same effect of keeping minerals in the water? I would like to keep minerals for health purposes.

Also, you’re saying using 1 gallon of water would create 3 gallons of drinking water? I thought it was the other way around. Thanks
permeate is water produced, while concentrate is the water wasted.

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
A properly designed high quality RO can do a 1:1 ratio with the understanding that th ratio is based on laboratory testing so your actual results will vary but in general their are a couple of 1:1 membranes out there that work very well. As to remineralizing, this is easily done with a carefully designed calcite/carbon blend on the post filter. Too much calcium or magnesium can add a bitter taste to the water. We manufacture a USA made version of this design sold through many companies. I will send you a PM.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks