Pleaes critique my DWV plan - Bathroom Addition

Users who are viewing this thread

Jeepnick

Reaction score
Hey folks. I'd greatly appreciate your critique of my isometric plan. This is for a bathroom addition on my house - permits are pulled (I live in Phoenix AZ - under UPC) and work is about to begin. Work will be performed by yours truly and inspected by the city.

The bathroom is quite large, so some of the drains are quite a way from each other, making it easier (I think) to vent everything individually until they tie together in the wall/attic.

In addition to the isometric drawing, I've attached a floor plan of the large bathroom which is 15'x11'. I have put in an over-sized 3" drain for the shower since it is a double with two shower heads. I've also made the double lav 2" since its so far away from where it will tie in to the main line.

Many thanks for your time and advice!

20111124185507967990_9972.jpg20111124184853697167_8773.jpg

Tom Sawyer

In the Trades
Reaction score
I don't like those two sections of flat vent. One off the shower and the other the WC

JohnjH2o1

Plumbing Contractor for 49 years
Reaction score
Your vent for the shower is below the trap creating a S trap which is not allowed.

John

Jeepnick

Reaction score
Thank you for your responses. I just realized that my drawing does not accurately depict the venting location. None of the drains would in fact have a horizontal vent (even though the drawing show it). I should have drawn the vent line coming out of the top of the drain line. Sorry for the confusion - I guess all that turkey made me sleepy when I was drawing.

My plan for all drains is to have a P-trap (none for WC) then run the drain horizontal for several inches until it is in line with the wall, then san tee down from horizontal to vertical with the vent going straight up the wall from there, and the drain going straight down and transitioning to horizontal.

My original thought was to wet vent the shower and tub through the WC, but the distances between the two make that difficult if not impossible. The tub could be done fore sure - its 5 feet away. The shower is 6 or just over 6 feet from the WC. Can I wet vent (yes its allowed in my area) from 6+ feet away on a 3" drain? And if so, is it a good idea?

Last edited:

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I have a philosophical aversion to telling you HOW I would do it, because, since you are in my area, it would be like asking me to give you an estimate for the work, then asking me HOW I would do it, and then using that information to do the job yourself, which is WHY I NEVER tell the customer HOW I intend to install his system.

Jeepnick

Reaction score
I have a philosophical aversion to telling you HOW I would do it, because, since you are in my area, it would be like asking me to give you an estimate for the work, then asking me HOW I would do it, and then using that information to do the job yourself, which is WHY I NEVER tell the customer HOW I intend to install his system.

I can appreciate your dilemma. Want to bid the job? I'm a little nervous about doing this myself to be honest.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
I would cost you too much. There are a lot of plumbers bidding jobs at their cost just to put money in their accounts. I try to tell them they are going bankrupt a little bit at a time but they will not listen, at least not yet.

Jeepnick

Reaction score
I'd like to move ahead with tackling this myself. Just curious if there is anything blatantly wrong with the below drawing. I realize the drawing is a bit crude and I may have overcomplicated the drain system, but my goal was to get everything on its own vent and tied in with the appropriate Wye, etc.

I'm aware that underground connections cannot be made at more than 45 degrees unless there is a local cleanout for the turn.

Thank you.
Scan001.jpg

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks