Bathroom Addition on slab

Users who are viewing this thread

Siap2169

Reaction score
I am about to begin getting quote and budgeting for room addition. My house is on a slab. I plan on adding a bathroom and curious If I can tie into the existing bathroom drains? The new bathroom will be about 15 ft away from old bathroom drains. Easiest way to tell if I will have enough fall from new bathroom to existing bathroom? I will be having professional do this obviously but want to be prepared and somewhat understand what can or will need to be done.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
A drain camera with radio beacon are how we find the location, depth and condition of existing drains under slabs. They can be joined together if careful layout and planning are performed prior to starting. Sometimes its easier to intercept the exterior sewer and bring a new drain into the building.

Cutting the concrete in your existing structure will be extremely disruptive.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
cutting the slab will likely be messy Tuttles brings up good concideration of bringing a seperate line in for new bathroom.
no telling at this point it could be a lot of digging and concrete removal around outside of house and the new bathroom might not be on outside wall . but good reminder for your team to keep that option in mind. Also you might have post tension cables under slab. Depending on age and condition of current underslab pipes (including waste and water pipes) the scope of work might need to be broadened to include additional work up to and including full re pipe of waste and water and or gutting other bathrooms. Im not recomending but if these are in the cards you might pull the trigger now rather than 2 big jobs later

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's wise to consult with a licensed plumber or contractor who has experience with slab-on-grade construction and plumbing installations. They can assess the feasibility of tying into the existing drains, determine the best approach for ensuring proper drainage, and provide guidance on any necessary modifications or additions to the plumbing system.
He is getting quotes from professionals that will be part of his consultation, but Op is asking us on here for guidance I guess kinda pick our brains in case we have ideas. Op isnt attemting this as a DIY from what I read maybe he will sub out part of it he can ask about that as well

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
He is getting quotes from professionals that will be part of his consultation, but Op is asking us on here for guidance I guess kinda pick our brains in case we have ideas. Op isnt attemting this as a DIY from what I read maybe he will sub out part of it he can ask about that as well
That response was likely from a AI Chat Bot.. just doesn't sound like a normal person explaining anything.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks