PerPlEXed

Users who are viewing this thread

MisterJJ

Reaction score
I need to remove two PEX lines and reconnect them to the the copper fittings. I've never worked with PEX before and I'm not sure how to identify what I need.

I think there are different types of fittings and I need different type of connectors (crimps?) depending on what I have.

FYI: I recently bought this house and found water softener resin in pipes, which come back after regeneration cycle. Traced it to the inlet/outlet lines for the softener being swapped. They tapped into the existing copper and ran a pair of PEX over to the softener but then connected them wrong.

EvfM6f0.jpg

Last edited:

Reach4

Reaction score
I need to remove two PEX lines and reconnect them to the the copper fittings. I've never worked with PEX before and I'm not sure how to identify what I need.
Picture did not work.

https://www.pexuniverse.com/types-of-pex-fittings may be helpful.

Sharkbite fittings can be good for that. The Falcon Stainless corrugated connectors with the John Guest connector lines are very good, and make for easy, quality installs.

MisterJJ

Reaction score
It could be either the crimp style or the expansion style. I want to just cut the lines off the existing copper fitting and use new crimps to re-install them. Just not sure what type of crimps or sleeves or what to use.

Reach4

Reaction score
It could be either the crimp style or the expansion style. I want to just cut the lines off the existing copper fitting and use new crimps to re-install them. Just not sure what type of crimps or sleeves or what to use.
How long would the PEXx run be? Click Inbox above. You might just be able to use good full-diameter corrugated stainless connectors between the copper and the softener.

MisterJJ

Reaction score
Not "running". Just swapping. I.E. the two lines are "A" and "B". So remove both connections and take the PEX that was connected to "A" copper fitting and connect it to "B" copper fitting. I'm assuming I cant just pull the PEX lines off and push them back on.

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
It could be either the crimp style or the expansion style.
Crimp style is going to have a metal band around the pex, possibly not smooth. Expansion style is going to have a smooth ring of pex around the pex.

With expansion style, if the fitting is plastic, I believe they can not be reused. If the fitting is brass, I believe the procedure is to cut the pex as close to the fitting as you can, and then use heat to get the remaining pex to relax enough to remove from the fitting. But look it up in, e.g., Uponor's installation manual, don't take my word for it.

Cheers, Wayne

Reach4

Reaction score
How long would the PEX run be? If side by side, you could maybe just use two SharkBite U008LF couplings for 1/2 inch PEX, or U016LF for 3/4, that you want to criss-cross if you have some slack.
brass-sharkbite-push-to-connect-fittings-u008lfa-c3_145.jpg

Not "running". Just swapping. I.E. the two lines are "A" and "B". So remove both connections and take the PEX that was connected to "A" copper fitting and connect it to "B" copper fitting. I'm assuming I cant just pull the PEX lines off and push them back on.
If your situation needs describing, consider using Paint in Windows. You can sketch with the paint tools, and save as *.png. You can take a photo. Crop or resize to under 800x800 pixels. 300 x 400 is often plenty. Mark up, and save as *.jpg. Either of those should get you well under the 200 kB limit that will let you upload a file.

Reach4

Reaction score
What you have is the expansion F1060 F1960 fittings.

You have buried type M copper. I think most places would not permit that, but Phoenix may be easy on copper.

I was picturing you doing the swap at the softener.

Last edited:

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
What you have is the expansion F1060 fittings.
For the record, it's F1960.

MisterJJ, if you are going to cut the PEX lines, swap them, and reconnect them, you can use most any coupling from the chart posted earlier. You have PEX-A, so crimp, push-fit, or expansion are all options.

Cheers, Wayne

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks