No-Caulk Drain and ABS

Users who are viewing this thread

centurion

Reaction score
I am installing new shower pan. House was built 30 years ago and uses all ABS, the old solid core type. I have to redo the drain location. Seems only foam core ABS is now available. The drain I have is a Oatley PVC No-Caulk. The instructions just say to use 2' Schedule 40. Can I use the foam core ABS with a no-caulk drain? I worry the pipe might not be strong enough with the pressure from compressing the rubber gasket.
Other option is to transition to PVC. I have seen conflicting comments as to whether or not transition glue is legal and or a good idea. Does anyone know if it is legal, I am located in NJ. I know I can use a shielded fernco type coupling, but since I will not have access after install I would prefer a glue joint. Also, it seems that while installing the rubber gasket be will be putting downward pressure in the p trap. So I guess some sort of blocking will be needed to keep it in place? Sorry for so many questions. Any help would be appreciated.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The shielded couplings work fine for going between ABS and PVC. And they pass inspections.
If you're worried about pushing the pipe down, you can grip it with a catclaw inside the pipe to hole it upward.
Though, it's not really needed.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks