Installing delta 38 new shower and drain issues Ive had before. Proper way to install oatey shower no caulk drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Reaction score
Ive seen the oatey shower drain no caulk and it shows the install with fibre and rubber gasket on bottom and using plumbers putty on top, yet I have had problems with it leaking in the past with the old shower drain pan. Plumbers putty is oil based and IM sure its not supposed to be used with abs which says abs right on top of the white oatey. I want to caulk the no caulk flange in place once and for all so it wont leak! Video shows them using plumbers putty on abs but in captions it says dont use plumbers putty on abs. Have no idea why the rubber gasket is supposed tobe on bottom as well as the fibre. I get the fibre so the nut will spin but what does the rubber gasket even do? Stops nut from backing off?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive followed the directions and not had issues. Its been debated heavily and it will continue. and you wouldnt be the first to silicone one. those thin shower pans fiberglass arent what I do many of . but Ive siliconed them Cant say I feel better about it but I tried it .
I belive you could toss the rubber ring , but dont recomend it, the change in temp might cause a loostening. We can blaze our own trail not saying I dont to some degree you might know better than the Manufacture. I just dont really like thin shower pans and real thin sheet metal sinks gotta pay attention excess putty can cause issues (leaks)

GReynolds929

Reaction score
The rubber gasket allows for a compression seal when tightened. Putty is fine to use. On shower drains we usually use silicone, everything else gets putty.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks