Replacing a section in ABS horizontal drain below slab

Users who are viewing this thread

patryk

Reaction score
Hi. I need to replace a a section of a horizontal ABS drain line that is burried below the slab, due to a cracked wye.

Is it better to use an ABS pipe and ABS wye for that section, or can I use a piece of PVC pipe and PVC wye (with a transition cement)?

Also, should I use a no hub coupling or a slip coupling, since it's in slab?

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
Buried pipe needs fernco's. There are shielded fernco's if you don't like the idea of fernco's. No hubs are not for burying, although there is a type of no that can be buried I think they are more expensive than normal ones.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
being in florida where I thought abs is non existant nearly If I already had the fittings Id go with pvc but Im from Ca and Ive never plumbed a house in pvc only some underground ABS is fine though and rather than no hub there are propper bands but on 2 inch if I had a nickle for every cheating 2 inch band I seen Id have lunch money at least 2 inch even transitioning to cast iron works pretty good but not legal

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Hi. I need to replace a a section of a horizontal ABS drain line that is burried below the slab, due to a cracked wye.

Is it better to use an ABS pipe and ABS wye for that section, or can I use a piece of PVC pipe and PVC wye (with a transition cement)?

Also, should I use a no hub coupling or a slip coupling, since it's in slab?

You can't glue ABS to PVC. Transition cement isn't legal. if you can find ABS fittings, just cut it out and glue it back using ABS. If you're using ABS and PVC in the same system, make the transition using no-hub bands. I prefer to use the heavy-duty no-hub bands (4 bands). it'll give you a little more bite on the pipe.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
You can't glue ABS to PVC. Transition cement isn't legal. if you can find ABS fittings, just cut it out and glue it back using ABS. If you're using ABS and PVC in the same system, make the transition using no-hub bands. I prefer to use the heavy-duty no-hub bands (4 bands). it'll give you a little more bite on the pipe.
Your right in that you can't mix pvc and abs, but it is legal to transition them. Meaning converting from one to another is OK, but going back and fourth isn't OK. There is cement to transitioning.

Unless the no hubs are rated for underground you can't use them underground.

Reach4

Reaction score
In schedule 40 size PVC drain pipe, there is foam core which is most often used. Solid dual rated PVC is stronger but costs a little more... or a lot more, depending on how much you are buying.

Schedule 40 is a size. I don't know if all of the ABS pipe is schedule 40 size, or has additional sizes like PVC drainage pipe does. The OD of schedule 40 3-inch pipe is 3.5 inches.

patryk

Reaction score
Correct, it's nearly impossible to buy ABS locally in Florida but I've it online, along with ABS cement and ABS to PVC transition cement.

As for the no hub coulings, upon doing a research, I ordered Mission Rubber Flex-Seal MR56 22 ARC, which seem to be stronger than Fernco but also much pricier.
flex-seal-arc-shielded-sewer-couplings-mr56-series.png

So I'll use these couplings on one side of the Sch40 ABS and glue the other side with a standard coupling, then use ABS wyes and change the branch to an ABS as well (turned out it was CPVC), I'll then transition to PVC with the green cement above ground.

Would that work?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks