new well stops pumping after a minute or 2

Users who are viewing this thread

judymarez

Reaction score
I have a Utilitech brand one-horse motor convertible jet pump. The pump is running, and I'm down 43 feet to the bottom of my well. From the top to the water level is 32 feet, and I have 11 feet of water. When it's not pumping, it sits at 20 PSI When it's pumping water, it sits at 11 PSI. But then just pumps for appr. 10 minutes, and then shuts off. I can wait awhile & pick the pipe up and down, and it starts pumping again. Then I shut the faucet off and it goes back up to 20 PSI. Then I turn it on & drops down to 11 PSI. I do not lose my prime, and I have no leaks. This is a brand new pump. \r\n I had a 1/2 horsepower pump for several years, and just replaced it with this one horsepower pump, and I can't get it to work right. When it's pumping water, it pumps at 11 PSI. I have my foot valve 4 1/2 feet from bottom.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
My guess is you have something clogging the jet in the assembly at the bottom of the well. The 1 HP could also be pumping faster than the well can keep up with. But you would think it would at least run with good pressure for a minute, so I still think the jet assemble is plugged.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks