New home rough in

Users who are viewing this thread

Robert61

Reaction score
Good morning and Happy Thanksgiving. Newby here. I am starting the rough in on my house. I laid awake most of the nite going over this in my head. At the top of the pic you’ll see a 2” line from the kitchen sink/dishwasher and the washing machine. I was going directly to the main 4” line. But now I’m thinking it would be better to bring it into the 4” line above the toilets to keep this cleaned out better (a wet vent). In the center you’ll see back to back toilets with a 3” line dropped from the second floor toilet in the wall separating them. I have long sweep wyes for each toilet. The thin pencil line is where lm thinking about moving the drain from the sink and washer. In the lower left you can see my toilet setup. I was going directly to the 4” main and using a long sweep to attach. I am thinking maybe I should bring the toilet branch into the main line at a 45* instead of using the long sweep. I’m hoping this makes sense and you can at least understand what I’m trying to do. I would appreciate any thoughts on my plans.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.jpeg
    IMG_0208.jpeg
    42.4 KB · Views: 67

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
could you draw it up more clearly so i dont have try to read and go back and forth and then get a better picture of the drawing too. back to back toilets ? maybe I dont see all your pics

Robert61

Reaction score
I call these long turn wyes. The pipe supply place called them companion wyes I think. Anyway here’s some more pics. I looked at more professionally roughed in drains and I think I’m good with the long turn elbow attaching this 4” branch to my 4” main. That’s where I was considering doing the 45. That is in light pencil.

Also I questioned whether I could have 3 toilets so close together but I don’t see that as an issue code or the inspector however might see it differentl.

Attachments

• IMG_0212.jpeg
    IMG_0212.jpeg
    71.3 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_0213.jpeg
    IMG_0213.jpeg
    72.5 KB · Views: 50

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive seen supply houses call them long turn tee wyes I call them combi's and thats what i hear localy the most others I think call them Combo's any of those names I think is fine with all on here, lets not call them tees though.
Again I dont kno9w what you are doing you say 3 toilets but I see a vent going up and no idea how you are planning to plumb 3 toilets here ? the idea of laying a flat wye with a short piece and 45 might be preferable but I dont do that often it will flow good and clean out easier I cant argue that the wye and 45 with space in between wouldnt have a slight edge on being better

Robert61

Reaction score
The 3” is going to another toilet upstairs. Maybe this will get my idea across.

Attachments

• IMG_0214.jpeg
    IMG_0214.jpeg
    66.3 KB · Views: 56

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
so the combi in the middle labeled as a vent is actually a drain for a floor above and not a vent .? you need a vent for the furthest sown stream toilet

Robert61

Reaction score
Yes the 3” is a went vent but I also have a 2” wet vent coming in the end of the 4” from the basin. I feel like this should be according to code and function correctly. I just wasn’t sure about have 3 toilets that close.

Robert61

Reaction score
I noticed looking at some rough in jobs they use a 45 wye and a street elbow. Am I still good with code using the combo fittings? And that is what the guy at the supply house called them (combos). I couldn’t remember and thought he said companion which made no sense. The way I’m using them the longer sweep looks better to me.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Yes the 3” is a went vent but I also have a 2” wet vent coming in the end of the 4” from the basin. I feel like this should be according to code and function correctly. I just wasn’t sure about have 3 toilets that close.
upstairs line could be a "wet vent " but the verticle section between the first floor (or basement ) and the next floor above is in no way any kind of vent its a drain only. The furthest downstream toilet is not vented ( at least properly) at all . the second one in the middle I have no further info to coment on . the last toilet is ok evedently sinks, washing machines , kitchens , lavs tubs and showers, or floor drains you seem to have no questions on ?

Robert61

Reaction score
I will plumb the vertical 3” So that it is a wet vent. The stack will continue on through the roof. If you look at the end of the toilet group you’ll see the basin is connected to it giving it a 2” wet vent. I feel like all of this should pass muster. Thanks for taking the time to reply. I am going to vent from the basin as well, but wouldn’t the 3” through the rough be enough vent even if I didn’t do that?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
youll need to rework the way the upstairs drain enters to down stream of both toilets

GReynolds929

Reaction score
Not sure what is being lost in translation, but you cannot wet vent multiple floors or between floors, period. If the pipe carries drainage from the floor above it is a drain, not a vent. You can only wet vent fixtures on the same floor, and only a bathroom group no other fixtures, no kitchen, washer, etc...

For reference UPC 908

Reach4

Reaction score
I will have vents going up at the 3” and at the basin 2”. Still not enough vent?
If MS used IPC, you have enough vent, but you would need a change. However you would want to check against your code.

Put a wye in downstream of the second toilet. Then run the 3 inch drainage from the floor above into the wye.

Robert61

Reaction score
Ms does use ipc. Thanks this is exactly what I needed to know. I didn’t know you couldn’t mix floors and I thought that would make a good vent for the first floor. I was thinking since I was using 4” it would be the same as a main drain and I could tie the upper floor in.

Robert61

Reaction score
If I remove the 3” drain from the upper floor can I still have the back to back toilets? And can I tie the basin in 1. as a vent for the toilets and 2. so it will help keep the toilet line flushed. If the 2” line doesn’t meet the size requirement could I use the 3” vertical line with no toilet attached above just a dry vent?

I found this on the forum so it appears I can run the 2 toilets on a single branch. In they say a 2” in the wall is enough vent.
IMG_0217.jpeg

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
If I remove the 3” drain from the upper floor can I still have the back to back toilets? And can I tie the basin in 1. as a vent for the toilets and 2. so it will help keep the toilet line flushed. If the 2” line doesn’t meet the size requirement could I use the 3” vertical line with no toilet attached above just a dry vent?

I found this on the forum so it appears I can run the 2 toilets on a single branch. In they say a 2” in the wall is enough vent.View attachment 95343
Hope you are getting cleared up now been trying. as you can see in the back to back bathroom drawing above no floor above waste is connected in the wet vent area

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks