New Air Tank vs Goulds Aqua Boost II System?

Users who are viewing this thread

Boycedrilling

In the Trades
Reaction score
At my shop, the pump in the well fills a 20,000 reservior for fire flow. Off of that reservior I have a 1 hp centrifugal pump set up with the CVS1A and a 1 gallon pressure tank. This supply's water to the shop and home.

I also have the same pump wired for 110 volt with 1" cam lock fittings on the suction and discharge. If I have a customer with a pump problem that is going to last a few days, I take them a trailer with a 1,000 gallon tank on it. I attach the pump to the tank and connect the discharge to an outside hose Bibb. Plug it in and they have water while we work on their well or pump. I do use a pressure switch with the low pressure cutout on the CSV1A so that if the tank runs out of water, the pump she's off.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Wouldn't the pump work less if your pressure tank were larger? (Isn't that better for the long life of a pump?)

Yes the bigger the tank the better was always true before the CSV was around. But you can't put a large enough tank to do what the CSV does. With a CSV the pump will run continuously as long as more than 1 GPM is being used. And as was the reason for the larger tank the longer the pump stays on the better.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Stay with the same kind of system you have. If you want constant pressure and reduced cycling you can add a Cycle Stop Valve (CSV1A).

Yes the bigger the tank the better was always true before the CSV was around. But you can't put a large enough tank to do what the CSV does. With a CSV the pump will run continuously as long as more than 1 GPM is being used. And as was the reason for the larger tank the longer the pump stays on the better.

Valveman, You mentioned staying with my present system, and that adding a CSV1A would give me constant pressure and reduce cycling - but if a CSV makes the pump run continuously, when asking for 1 GPM or more, how can that be good for my pump. Almost every time we turn on the water we ask for more than a gallon. I'm confused.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Valveman, You mentioned staying with my present system, and that adding a CSV1A would give me constant pressure and reduce cycling - but if a CSV makes the pump run continuously, when asking for 1 GPM or more, how can that be good for my pump. Almost every time we turn on the water we ask for more than a gallon. I'm confused.

Running the pump continuously is how the CSV keeps the pump from cycling on and off. Pumps are made to run. It is the continuous cycling on/off that destroys pumps.

We use to use larger tanks to make the pump run longer, but even a big tank will still fill up and the pump will shut off.

Big tanks will make longer cycles but a CSV eliminates cycles as long as the water is being used.

It doesn't hurt a pump as much to cycle for every toilet flush like when using a CSV, as it does for the pump to continue cycling on and off while water is being used for long periods like showers and sprinklers as it would without a CSV.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Thanks. Do I have to set the new small pressure tank to any certain poundage, or are they pre set at the factory?

BTW, we only use water like a typical household. We do have a drip system that comes on for 5 minutes in the morning and 5 minutes in the evening, daily, but aside from that our water usage is only clothes several times a week, showers, toilets dishes and cooking. I watched a couple videos on You Tube and it almost sounded like these were used when water was running a lot. Do you suggest them (over & beyond my present system) for small households as well?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
We size the CSV to match the pump. Do you know anything about the size of your pump?

And the CSV with the small tank works fine for just house use. The number of cycles saved when taking showers and using the drip system will make up for the extra cycles for having a small tank when a single toilet is flushed. The CSV really shines when using water for long periods of time, but just for house use the number of cycles for using a CSV and small tank will be about the same as an older style system with just a big tank and no CSV. The difference is you will have steady constant pressure in the shower with the CSV compared to the pressure continually changing from 40 to 60, 60 to 40 while taking a shower.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Would I remove my pressure switch from my present jet pump and attach it (or a new one) to the CSV? Also, how long do these CSV's last, what is their warranty & where are they manufactured?

You can use the existing pressure switch if you extend the sensing tube to a point after the CSV. But it is usually easier to just use a new pressure switch installed after the CSV and close to the tank.

The CSV1A is manufactured here in Lubbock Texas, and the estimated life is probably about 30 years. We have a one year written warranty, but will honor warranty for many years if there is something actually wrong with the CSV. It is a very simple valve and there is not much that can go wrong. As long as you don't pump a lot of sand through it, let it freeze, or burn the well house down the CSV will last a long, long time.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Thanks very much. I will call you and order this part after my new pump house is finished. I appreciate your knowledge and help. I am hopeful you have printed instructions also. I've watched your videos and have a pretty good idea how to instal it, but if there are any tricks, it would be nice to know.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
Are these CVS's sized for the pressure tank used?
While we are in construction, it would be nice to buy it now, install it on my present system (larger pressure tank than the 1 gal tank in the video) and then move it to the new location and smaller pressure tank. Is that possible?

Reach4

Reaction score
While we are in construction, it would be nice to buy it now, install it on my present system (larger pressure tank than the 1 gal tank in the video) and then move it to the new location and smaller pressure tank. Is that possible?

I suspect the tank in the video (I don't know what video) was something like a "4 gallon" tank that has about a gallon of drawdown. If you use a larger pressure tank, you would adjust the CSV closer to the cutoff pressure maintaining a 1 or 2 minute run time after you stop using water. That larger tank would give you a little reserve water if the power goes out.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You can use a CSV with any size tank. Like Reach said you just set the CSV closer to the pressure switch off setting so it doesn't take long to fill the larger tank. And a larger tank will only give you some reserve during a power outage if you are lucky enough for it to be full when the power goes off. Murphy's law says with a 40/60 pressure switch the system will be at 41 when the power goes off and there won't be any water in the tank. I prefer a couple of gallon jugs stored in the closet and just use the small tank with the CSV.

RogerPDX

Reaction score
You asked me what size jet pump I have & I just took a look... It is a Sears (A.O.Smith) 1/3hp Shallow Well Jet Pump. I didn't see a 1/3hp pump listed on your size chart.

The jet pump sucks water out of my cisterns and pumps it into my pressure tank, which then pushes the water to our house. Will this Sears 1/3hp jet pump work with your CVS?

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
You asked me what size jet pump I have & I just took a look... It is a Sears (A.O.Smith) 1/3hp Shallow Well Jet Pump. I didn't see a 1/3hp pump listed on your size chart.

The jet pump sucks water out of my cisterns and pumps it into my pressure tank, which then pushes the water to our house. Will this Sears 1/3hp jet pump work with your CVS?

Yes but you may have to reduce the CSV factory setting of 40/60 down to 30/50, because a 1/3 HP may not be able to build to 60 PSI. If you get the chance to replace that pump use a larger pump, like a 3/4HP or a 1HP. The CSV will make it act like a small pump when that is all you need, but you will have more water and pressure available for times when you need it.

PK1A with Jet Pump vertical.JPG

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
AO Smith is just the motor. Sears pumps are made by Pentair who makes Myers, Sta-Rite and several other brands. If the 1/3 HP gives you enough volume and pressure then no need for a larger one. But if you want more pressure or flow that pump won't do it.