Need advice replacing a behind tile shower valve for a shower wand.

Users who are viewing this thread

LA1

Reaction score
I have a shower wand and on/off valve over on the wall 90° and about 3 feet back from where the shower head is. I also have a temp control under the shower head with a main water off and an on/off for the shower.. . It's all made by a company called Barand that has gone out of business. If i do not turn off the main water off the wand will drip probably a gallon or two in a day even with the wands on/off behind the tile shut off. i was thinking of getting an external on/off for the wand, but concerns that the valve may start leaking externally in the wall. i am not a plumber. I think I can remove the tile to get to the valve , although kind of leery doing this because the shower will be out of action till i get a new valve in. So i am going to go in through a wall in a room next to the shower and probably leave an action panel i think they call it. So here is my dilemma.... i can't find a replacement valve from any manufacturer, probably b/c i do not know what to ask for. I also would like a recommendation on a manufacturer that is good and will not go out of business ...lol. so let me know, maybe a couple of diff units at different price ranges, not looking for anything fancy, just reliable working and any tips on doing this type of work.

Last edited:

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Grohe, American Standard, Kohler, Hansgrohe, Pfister, Moen. NEVER buy off-brands.
as far as "any tips on doing this type of work" Hire a licensed plumber with good reviews or personal recommendations from a general contractor.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
You should first determine if the shower valve is leaking or if its just residual water from a long hose. If you take off the hose and plug the outlet with your thumb to see if the outlet builds up pressure when the valve is turned off

LA1

Reaction score
You should first determine if the shower valve is leaking or if its just residual water from a long hose. If you take off the hose and plug the outlet with your thumb to see if the outlet builds up pressure when the valve is turned off
thanks for the reply. well the wand hangs up on the wall about 2 feet above the valve and like i said it will drip way more than what is in the hose. so probably yes the hose is full when hung up and the valve turned off, so the valve leaks into the hose and it comes out the wand as constant drips.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Replacing the cartridge is your first step. Assuming you do have a brand that hasn't gone out of business, and even so, most have replacement parts available from 3rd party manufactures.

I'm not one to just replace parts without verifying the problem and eliminating other possible solutions. But barring the pressure test the only real next step is just going to replacement cartridge. You will need to know the manufacture in order to do that.

The easiest way is to post a couple close up photos of the valve trim from a couple different angles. Front view and maybe a side profile.

LA1

Reaction score
Replacing the cartridge is your first step. Assuming you do have a brand that hasn't gone out of business, and even so, most have replacement parts available from 3rd party manufactures.

I'm not one to just replace parts without verifying the problem and eliminating other possible solutions. But barring the pressure test the only real next step is just going to replacement cartridge. You will need to know the manufacture in order to do that.

The easiest way is to post a couple close up photos of the valve trim from a couple different angles. Front view and maybe a side profile.
as i stated above AND there is a thread on this forum, the manufacturer, Barand went out of business years ago. I have found Barand cartridges for faucets, not sure if they would fit. you are welcome to look and see if you see anything. also with the valve OFF for the wand and i turn on the shower, water start dribbling out the wand.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I have a shower wand and on/off valve over on the wall 90° and about 3 feet back from where the shower head is. I also have a temp control under the shower head with a main water off and an on/off for the shower.. . It's all made by a company called Barand that has gone out of business. If i do not turn off the main water off the wand will drip probably a gallon or two in a day even with the wands on/off behind the tile shut off. i was thinking of getting an external on/off for the wand, but concerns that the valve may start leaking externally in the wall. i am not a plumber. I think I can remove the tile to get to the valve , although kind of leery doing this because the shower will be out of action till i get a new valve in. So i am going to go in through a wall in a room next to the shower and probably leave an action panel i think they call it. So here is my dilemma.... i can't find a replacement valve from any manufacturer, probably b/c i do not know what to ask for. I also would like a recommendation on a manufacturer that is good and will not go out of business ...lol. so let me know, maybe a couple of diff units at different price ranges, not looking for anything fancy, just reliable working and any tips on doing this type of work.

Most plumbers aren't going to waste their time playing the match-the-cartridge game. Why in the holy "Gosh darn golly" would we spend HOURS OF OUR TIME trying to match parts to some weird fucked up garbage somebody installed years ago.

Quit overthinking it
DISCONTINUED = REPLACE THAT SHIT
My personal go-to is a Delta Valve. My opinion, you just can't freakin’ go wrong with a Delta Cartridge and trim kit of your choice.

1713704983889.png

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
as i stated above AND there is a thread on this forum, the manufacturer, Barand went out of business years ago. I have found Barand cartridges for faucets, not sure if they would fit. you are welcome to look and see if you see anything. also with the valve OFF for the wand and i turn on the shower, water start dribbling out the wand
Sorry, missed the Barand being out of business part. Rip it out and replace it. I also suggest a nice Delta setup.

LA1

Reaction score
Sorry, missed the Barand being out of business part. Rip it out and replace it. I also suggest a nice Delta setup.
no worries. is there a good store online. i went to Home depot and Lowes and they basically have sink faucets and whatever they have are sets. There are a few plumbing supply houses I will try them, just wanted to look at some items first to gather info.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks