Main line leak

Users who are viewing this thread

Cookie

Reaction score
hj said:
The problem with those services is that the homeowner pays a set price per month, so unless you have a huge customer base so that the ones without problems pay for those that do, you will lose money very quickly.

I wrote a post, with this in mind of you responding to mine. Wouldn't your company or business be under contract to the gas company? ( like the elect. company ); I don't understand how you would lose money, or how those without problems pay for those who do; because all homeowners choose the programs they want, and pay the same fixed amount each month, whether they use it or not.

I think you are confusing this with like term life insurance. I don't think the same principal is there.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
The cost for a main line replacement depends on several things. How deep the trench must be, how long the trench must be, how much hand digging is involved, the type of soil, and the prevailing wage rates. Pipe and fittings even at today's high price for copper will be a relatively small part of the total cost.

Cookie

Reaction score
What do you think of these service warranty programs Gary?

I was asking the cost on one of the replacements, kind of comparing it to what I will spend over the course of maybe, 10 years. I know this much Gary, I watched my kids, sled riding down a driveway that was moving, lol, I am sorry, but, it was really funny. They they slid off the side of the little hill and careened into each other, like the 3 stooges. I was aghast at the damage of a bursted water line in the dead of winter. When, I climbed down over the hillside to get my kids, I told them, I was taking it out of their allowances.

For 2, 3 winters, we told the story of the day that they rode their sleds for their lives. I remember my oldest saying, that they could see the asphalt right behind them, and the ground was heaving up. And water was shooting up and everywhere.

I don't know what Liz, my neighbor paid but, I bet it was a hefty amount. That is what I think using these warranty programs deters from happening. It would be alittle hard to summon up a large sum of money right now.

I am pretty sure you can get this even if you rent out the house, or have units. I am not sure, maybe, the cost per month might be higher, I don't know. But, this person who started this thread, I wonder if it would be too late to enroll? I never read anything about pre existing conditions, or having to wait for so long. It might be worth a call. Who knows. It is not wrong to ask.

I enolled in this 2 years ago, and just used it for the electricity this past year. And, my husband was an electrical engineer, lol. He was a good one, things do go bad, wiring sometimes gets loose, and things can short. Nothing lasts forever. I just got this thing with fire. I don't much like it. I am the only person who lights a BBQ with a 2 ft long match, :D I think in my past life I was burned at the stake for talking too much.

Gary Swart

In the Trades
Reaction score
In my opinion, service warranties are a rip off. Usually, there is a short term warranty given with a product, and if there is going to be a problem, it will occur within that time. Sure there are exceptions, but in general, I don't think they are a good investment at all.

Cookie

Reaction score
I am not sure, either I am understanding it correctly or , as long as you pay your fee per month, it stays warranted. Now, I only had the electrical done, but, I was told any problems to just call. I never had a problem. For instance, with the electrical it covers anything electrical in your home, down to a dimmer switch. You do understand this is thru a gas company? Not the electrical company itself.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks