County suggested ball valve on new water service line?

Users who are viewing this thread

Midwest DIY'r

Reaction score
Getting ready to have a tap installed on the county water main in North Carolina, will be running 1.5" PE from the meter to the house. The county inspector suggested adding a ball valve after the meter so we can shut-off ourselves in the future for maintenance purposes. This is not something I have seen before, I normally just close the curb stop valve as required.

Any input on this suggestion?

Sarg

Enjoy Learning
Reaction score
I'm just a novice but prefer ball valves over compression or gate valves for any application.
I also think your inspector is providing good advice ......... around here the curb valves require special tools.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Around here our meters are shallow and I shut water companys valve frequently some have customer valves but water companys often install them or they spec out what contractors need to install. look up ford meter box 3/4x 3/4 curbstop customer valve something like that there around 130 bucks maybe less. Personally I Dont care about my own shut off at the street Tell you the truth any good water company has 2 shut offs the ones that dont are trying to save a buck but this is public utility I think they have obligation to have a reliable shut off with access to the customer Just my opinion so the heck with them Ill use thiers just like I been doing

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks