Looking for opinions on this water treatment setup

Users who are viewing this thread

Reach4

Reaction score
There is an air separation tank after the pressure tank and before the filter, so at least they did that much. I've still noticed rust shoot out the tank tee bib when opened full flow, so I'm fairly certain it's oxidizing and precipitating in the pressure tank as well, though.
If you were to flush out the pressure tank and the air separation tank, you might find that the existing system works better. The air should give you ferric iron (rust) and you would need to flush that out.

LLigetfa

DIYer, not in the trades
Reaction score
I've still noticed rust shoot out the tank tee bib when opened full flow, so I'm fairly certain it's oxidizing and precipitating in the pressure tank as well, though.
The oxidation and precipitation starts right at the micronizer so it, the pipe after it, the tank Tee, and the inside of the tank will have serious iron buildup. For that reason, I use HP tanks and have several unions along the path so that I can take it apart and pressure wash it. The micronizers I soak in muriatic acid to clean.

bricktop

Reaction score
Some updates...

Was able to remove the micronizer to measure unrestricted flow. Pump produced about 9 to 9.5 gpm with about 25 psi at the head, which should be enough backwash flow for an oxidizing filter of size appropriate for the house.

When testing flow with the micronizer removed, the water produced was extremely reddish (see attached). After a few minutes it calmed down to the second picture (which also isn't great). Iron or iron bacteria getting flushed out from the high flow rate that it normally never sees? I might get a Hach IR-18 (total iron test kit) to test this again to see if it's just iron or something else.

I put the micronizer back in place after testing.

The oxidation and precipitation starts right at the micronizer so it, the pipe after it, the tank Tee, and the inside of the tank will have serious iron buildup. For that reason, I use HP tanks and have several unions along the path so that I can take it apart and pressure wash it.

What do you mean by HP tank?

Attachments

• 20210313_202157.jpg
    20210313_202157.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 162
  • 20210313_202224.jpg
    20210313_202224.jpg
    122.6 KB · Views: 165

ditttohead

Water systems designer, R&D
Reaction score
The oxidation and precipitation starts right at the micronizer so it, the pipe after it, the tank Tee, and the inside of the tank will have serious iron buildup. For that reason, I use HP tanks and have several unions along the path so that I can take it apart and pressure wash it. The micronizers I soak in muriatic acid to clean.
You mean like this?

Attachments

• F929E8D8-5D3F-49E5-80A6-A35AD4D6A828_1_105_c (1).jpeg
    F929E8D8-5D3F-49E5-80A6-A35AD4D6A828_1_105_c (1).jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 154

bricktop

Reaction score
HP = Hydro Pneumatic so no bladder or diaphragm to keep the air separate from the water. The air is in contact with the water.

That would make more sense for this system. The tank in there now has a mfr data of 2015, maybe the old one needed to be replaced due to iron buildup.

Another thing I noticed in this system: The second micronizer just before the air separation and contact tank is installed backwards. Would there be any purpose to this? Crude flow limiter? Or just a mistake?

bricktop

Reaction score
Just to follow up, I went with a new AIO3 injection filter with katalox lite and a 48k softener, both with Clack WS1 valves. Iron is gone post-filter and water is crystal clear, but I will monitor for a while with a Hach IR-18. pH is high, as many have experienced and mentioned, and that may/should subside over time. Once the pH is settled a bit, will have the water professionally tested again. I have a fairly sensitive manganese test kit coming as well to check that.

I'm backwashing the filter (10x54 Vortech with 1.5ft3 KL) every other day at about 9 gpm for 14min. My water is fairly cold year-round (~10C).

bricktop

Reaction score
Measured the pH using a LaMotte kit, and looks like it's currently sitting at 10.5. Will see how this varies over time. Water tastes good though. I think some people pay a lot for this Alkaline water stuff. Since hardness is zero, most of the alkalinity then here must be from hydroxyls.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks