Leathers stuck in coupling, can't pull out pipe

Users who are viewing this thread

JAXFL

Reaction score
I have a 2" steel casing with PVC pipe going down to the jet, check valve and leathers. The well pump is cycling too often. I checked and water is going back down the well past the leathers and check valve. I tried to pull the drop pipe to change everything, but the leathers are stuck inside a coupling on the 2" pipe. I can go down but not up past that point. I was told to pour bleach down the well for a few days to eat up the leathers, but it hasn't worked. The pipe is still stuck at that point. Any ideas?

JAXFL

Reaction score
With PVC pipe you just can't pull on the packer very hard. Probably won't help but try turning to the right while pulling.
I tried turning while pulling, but it didn't work. I have a single drop pipe in the casing, with discharge and suction lines going from the front of the pump to the fitting on top of the casing. Could I install a ball valve in the supply line (smaller pipe) and just turn it off each time I stop pumping water? It seems like that might prevent water going back down past the leathers, and make priming easier.

Reach4

Reaction score
How are you pulling? Hydraulic jack, high-lift jack? If you are not able to pull 2000 pounds, I think you want to improve your lifting method.

You will probably need a lot more force than you and a friend can generate by tugging on a T-bar.

See #4 in https://terrylove.com/forums/index.php?threads/speaking-of-stuck-pumps.73694/ Steel pipe is even stronger.

My comments on this are not based on experience.

Last edited:

Alice businelle

Reaction score
You have probably resolved this by now, but for future viewers with this problem someone warned me this may happen and told me that when it happened to him they poured bleach down. They waited overnight but he said an hour would prob work and it dissolved the leathers andbhe was able to pull pipe right out. This is just what I was told...

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks