Leaking faucet

Users who are viewing this thread

BrianTX

Reaction score
I had a faucet that was leaking from the cold water handle when either the hot or cold was on. I changed out both the seats and stems (went to a faucet supply store to get the exact parts) and the handles feel great, but now the faucet is dripping like crazy. I’m worried the faucet itself is cracked, but then wouldn’t it have leaked before I fixed the handles? Also, if I turn off the water main, the faucet will continue to drip unless I open up the faucet on the outside of the house. Any suggestions?

BrianTX

Reaction score
It is either the seat or the washer, assuming you had the correct ones and installed them properly.
The washer is preattached to the stem. I assume I put the seats in properly, but I guess I missed something. I wrapped each with tape before putting them in, and they are in pretty snug.

BrianTX

Reaction score
I do not use tape, and if the thread was not correct it would not tighten properly. They should NOT be "snug" until the final turn.
Thanks! I went back in and made the seats a little more snug per your instructions, and that solved the problem.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks