Leak from Well Vent

Users who are viewing this thread

JSP

Reaction score
I heard a gurgling noise near my deep well jet pump, but everything seemed to be working normally. I didn't know where my well is in my yard, so I called a well pump contractor and asked if he could find it. I told him that the lines were plastic, and he said "that is okay, they usually have a copper line running out to them." That night, I went home and found a tiny hole in the foundation wall (separate from the conduit that the pipes are in) and found that the gurgling sound was coming from that. Next day, the contract found the location of the well with some electronic locator. He said did a leak down check and said to leave it alone unless I had some further problem. I was satisfied that the sound was just air since I didn't know about the vent. A few days later, I noticed water dripping from the vent. When the pump runs, air is sucked in as water is evacuated from the well. When the pump stops, at first air comes out of the hole, then eventually, some water slugs come through. This eventually stops. Like it doesn't continue to come in. I clamped a rubber hose on the nub of tube from the wall and placed it over a floor drain. I can't understand what is going on though. If the water level in the well is just high, wouldn't it bleed out all the time? I can't find anything on the web about these vent lines coming into the basement, but the contractor knew by phone it was there. Anyone have experience with this? I will eventually dig up the pit cover and look at what is going on inside, but I'd rather leave it alone if these is no problem. I was thinking that if the copper tube connects to the pit and not the well casing, it may be in soggy ground in pit. There is no water coming in the conduit with the other two plastic lines to the well, so I doubt that the pit is flooded. Anyone have any experience with something like this?

Reach4

Reaction score
I was thinking that if the copper tube connects to the pit and not the well casing, it may be in soggy ground in pit.

Your well is in a pit 8 feet from the house? Post a photo of the inside of your pit. Make the picture as much from the side as you can, using your long arm or a selfie stick.

JSP

Reaction score
Your well is in a pit 8 feet from the house? Post a photo of the inside of your pit. Make the picture as much from the side as you can, using your long arm or a selfie stick.
I have not dug up to he pit. It is around 8 ft from the house. I guess I'll need to dig it up and have a look at what is going on if no one can think of an explanation

Reach4

Reaction score
If the well is buried, I would not go digging it up. What you have may not be a pit, I think. The thing they call a pit is like a buried room. Your well seal may just be buried. I am not a pro.

Last edited:

Craigpump

In the Trades
Reaction score
Your small line is a vent line, it's there to allow the well to breathe. When the pump is on and water is being used, there is a vacuum pulled on that line. When the pump is off and water is filling the well, the air is displaced back through that tube.

Given all the rain we've had here in CT, the water table is now very high and most likely your well is artesianing through your vent line. You'll probably find that it will stop later in the year when people start using the water for outside purposes. Until then, be sure that your rubber hose doesn't sit in direct contact with water in your drain. The vacuum created could pull contaminated water into your water supply.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks