Well pressure tank plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

MikeP3

Reaction score
I am about to install a new pressure tank for my well water. Wanted to know if the original plumbing going to my pressure tank will work or if I should update it. I’ll include pictures but I noticed I have one line coming from my pump to my tank and my outlet pipe that supplies water to the whole house is just tied into that. Saw a lot of people do the brass T with their inlet pipe on one side and the outlet on the other with their pressure switch, check valve and drain on that.

Attachments

• IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    21 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    21.3 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    16.9 KB · Views: 47

Reach4

Reaction score
Is that galvanized tank in the background of the first picture your pressure tank? Or is it the brown tank on the left of the third picture? The pressure switch should normally have a short path to the pressure tank.

Do you have a symptom?

Last edited:

MikeP3

Reaction score
No that galvanized tank in the back is the old tank the first owner never hauled out of the crawl space. In the last pic you can see the red steel tank the pvc runs too. My bladder has been leaking so my whole tank fills with water and my pump kicks on to keep up with the pressure. The pressure switch is about 3 feet from the tank.

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
I can't tell exactly what you have (small pics) but it doesn't seem to have a manifold attached to the tank which simplifies things.

Manifold

John

MikeP3

Reaction score
I can't tell exactly what you have (small pics) but it doesn't seem to have a manifold attached to the tank which simplifies things.

Manifold

John
Not sure if these are a little better quality. Just wondering if this is sufficient enough to run the new tank off this plumbing that’s already existing.

Attachments

• IMG_3074.jpeg
    IMG_3074.jpeg
    106 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_3071.jpeg
    IMG_3071.jpeg
    63.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_3075.jpeg
    IMG_3075.jpeg
    101.9 KB · Views: 39

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
If you are going to update, might as well do it right. That old galv tank and your bad bladder tank are all problems caused by the pump cycling on and off too much. Use a Cycle Stop Valve to stop the cycling and it will solve all your other problems as well.

CSV1A with 20 gallon tank cross.png

PK1A Sub Pitless House.jpg

JohnCT

Still learning..slowly
Reaction score
Not sure if these are a little better quality. Just wondering if this is sufficient enough to run the new tank off this plumbing that’s already existing.

OK, I see what you've got there. Yes, you can use the existing plumbing but as long as you're changing the tank, I'd clean up the piping as well. What I would is add a new manifold to the new tank in order to clean up the piping along the floor.

waterworker1.jpg

This manifold threads right into the bottom of the tank and sticks out the front where you add the pressure switch and its standpipe (clean that pipe out if you reuse it!!), the gauge, the pressure relief valve, and the hose bib to drain it. All you need is your in and out pipes to the sides of the manifold. The good thing is that even Home Depot carries them if someone kicks it and damages it (that happened to me).

John

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks