Jet Pump can't prime...

Users who are viewing this thread

nbailey

Reaction score
Probably a sticking foot valve. May happen again.

I would like to be prepared if this happens again and I can’t resolve it. I believe my plan would be to replace with a submersible as others have recommended and put in a new line. The only real question I have is about removing the existing pipes. I didn’t get the casing open as it will need cut but I believe they are going to be metal lines. What is the best way to remove them? Any specific item I can rent to make the job easier or just rig up a pulley system with ropes?

Reach4

Reaction score
The only real question I have is about removing the existing pipes. I didn’t get the casing open as it will need cut but I believe they are going to be metal lines. What is the best way to remove them? Any specific item I can rent to make the job easier or just rig up a pulley system with ropes?
Post a photo of your well head and the nearby pipes.

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Yeah looks like steel pipe. How heavy it will be depends on how deep it is. A couple of strong guys could probably pull it out. If you can lift it, pull it up as high as you can, clamp the pipe, unscrew or cut off the above with a sawsall, then repeat.

nbailey

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your help so far! Pump has been running fine and staying primed but I noticed a pretty significant cycle this morning. After pump shuts off its about 1-2 minutes before pressure drops from 60 to 40 and kicks on again. Sounds like I need to pull the pipes up...

Stay tuned I’m sure I’ll have more questions!

nbailey

Reaction score
All right! Time to sum up my day today.

So I pulled the well cap off and lo and behold the piping was poly pipe! That was the first think I was thankful for today. The second was the fact that I only had to pull out 30ft of pipe. Yep, that's right only thirty feet. About 27.5 for each line and 2ft for the tail pipe. When pulling the pipes up it was pretty easy to spot a split in one of the pipes.

Picked up a new foot valve and pipes at a local store and spent the day taking it all apart and putting it back together. So far so good. Running the water some now to get back to clean water after stirring the well up.

So I was pretty thankful for how today went but it did leave me with some questions. The jet pump... it's setup for a deep well... why is the pipe only 30 ft down? Also what does that mean for sizing a submersible pump? The water level appeared to be about 10 ft above the jet.

Once again thank you everyone for your help!

Reach4

Reaction score
The jet pump... it's setup for a deep well... why is the pipe only 30 ft down? Also what does that mean for sizing a submersible pump? The water level appeared to be about 10 ft above the jet.
Head-wise, you are drawing from the water to the pump, including the depth of the pit. So a shallow well setup might not have had enough lift.

They put the intake a fair amount below the water surface in case the water level drops either due to water table change or you pumping the level down. They did not go deeper probably to stay away from sediment.

The 10SQ05-160 is a little more than you need, but the 10SQ05-110 (next size down) might not be enough if the water is low and you want 60 psi.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks