Need Well Pump Assistance

Users who are viewing this thread

Vashon

Reaction score
Last week I noticed water coming from the vent on top of the tank lid and then noticed both well and booster tank pumps were running. I opened the tank lid and a fitting was broken and gushing water. I fixed that and everything seems to work but I forgot to record the default settings done by the installer and don't know what the well pump pressure gauge reading was at.
My system has a deep well pump, with 5 gal. bladder pressure tank that feeds into a 1,500 gal. underground water storage tank. Inside the tank is a booster pump and has a separate 5 gal. pressure tank and pressure gauge. The pressure gauge reads a constant 60 psi with no demand and once at 40 psi the booster pump turns on. This seems to me as a normal condition? Once the tank water level lowers to certain point the tank float triggers the well pump to turn on and start filling the storage tank and the well pump pressure gauge starts rising to a reading of 20 psi and remains until the tank float triggers the correct water level and shuts the well pump off returning the well pump pressure gauge down to 0 psi.
My question is if this is normal operating procedure or should the well pump pressure remain at 20 psi all the time? Also the storage tank has a lower float. Is this to prevent the booster pump from running if the water in the tank is too low?

Thanks for you time & knowledge,
Scott

Valveman

Cary Austin
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
cyclestopvalves.com
Last week I noticed water coming from the vent on top of the tank lid and then noticed both well and booster tank pumps were running. I opened the tank lid and a fitting was broken and gushing water. I fixed that and everything seems to work but I forgot to record the default settings done by the installer and don't know what the well pump pressure gauge reading was at.
My system has a deep well pump, with 5 gal. bladder pressure tank that feeds into a 1,500 gal. underground water storage tank. Inside the tank is a booster pump and has a separate 5 gal. pressure tank and pressure gauge. The pressure gauge reads a constant 60 psi with no demand and once at 40 psi the booster pump turns on. This seems to me as a normal condition? Once the tank water level lowers to certain point the tank float triggers the well pump to turn on and start filling the storage tank and the well pump pressure gauge starts rising to a reading of 20 psi and remains until the tank float triggers the correct water level and shuts the well pump off returning the well pump pressure gauge down to 0 psi.
My question is if this is normal operating procedure or should the well pump pressure remain at 20 psi all the time? Also the storage tank has a lower float. Is this to prevent the booster pump from running if the water in the tank is too low?

Thanks for you time & knowledge,
Scott
Yes the well pump pressure will go to zero as it uses a float switch not a pressure switch. And yes the low float is most likely to prevent the booster pump from running if the water level gets low.

Fitter30

Reaction score
Well pump will go to 0 psi when off unless there is a solenoid valve that the float switches but then you would have a pressure switch operating the pump.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks