Is my shower drain flange glued

Users who are viewing this thread

Anuj

Reaction score
bs75lTl

My shower drain was leaking on to ceiling below and I thought to replace the shower drain flange and reseal it. Since it was probably put 10 years ago.

I am trying to unscrew the flange but it doesn’t budge. I tried to use the tool to unscrew it but no luck. I do notice there’s purple color so thinking if the flange is actually glued at the bottom. ? Is my assumption or text and it’s glued.

Based on what my internet research has suggested it should be only screwed and not glued.

https://imgur.com/a/bs75lTl

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Usually, the drain body is held in place by a big nut on the bottom along with a gasket. Then, it either uses a gasket to also seal the drain pipe riser to it, or, like it appears in yours, it is cemented in place. If that's the case, not much you can do from the top.

Anuj

Reaction score
Can I just caulk from the top around the perimeter of the drain. Is that something permanent and doable

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
The 2" pipe is glued to the shower drain. The nut that holds it is on the bottom of the shower pan. Unless you can open a ceiling below, you will have to cut it apart from the top and then have the correct fittings to put them back together.
If you have access from below, that's where most of the work will happen. I normally replace the drain with new parts. The pipe below will be cut and coupled, sometimes with a new p-trap if that's easier.

Anuj

Reaction score
There’s ceiling below and there’s hole in it. I have attached the view from the bottom. Does that change any thing ? Looks like the drain is sitting on top of plywood

Attachments

• 2D7256FE-5BEF-428D-9966-3661CCD0E010.jpeg
    2D7256FE-5BEF-428D-9966-3661CCD0E010.jpeg
    36.6 KB · Views: 490

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
no_calk_shower_42077.jpg

Your pan is on the plywood, with a large hole that allows the nut to drop within the hole.

jackrabbit-07.jpg

Here is one style of drain I use for repairs.

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks