Shower drain leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

gevas65851

Reaction score
Hi all!

Hoping to get a little advice on fixing a leaking shower drain. The leak is happening when water gets in from around the drain. The result is water drips downstairs under the drain. See picture for location.

I noticed a similar post here: https://diy.stackexchange.com/quest...al-a-shower-drain-on-a-pre-formed-shower-base

One of the recommendations there was to use self-leveling polyurethane sealant. Would you all agree with that recommendation? Or is it best to try to remove and replace the drain? Thanks!!!

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    205.8 KB · Views: 59

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
that grille pops off.
the normal attachments methods of the drain body vary.
It is ok to use any non-water based caulk...but, that is nothing but a hack repair.
The drain may need tightening to the pipe, or the leak could be the flange may need to be redone.
If your base has flex, then that contributes to ongoing issues.

gevas65851

Reaction score
Yeah I think the leak is happening because water gets from around the flange where the putty has become loose. If the flange needs to be redone, does that normally require cutting the ceiling from below in order to take the nut off?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks