I could use some help with clog after drum trap

Users who are viewing this thread

travelterp

Reaction score
Hello everyone! First post here. I have a few rental properties and one of them is a small two unit apt on a slab. The tenant told me that the tub was not draining. I tried to snake it and got nowhere fast. I called the local plumbing company and they sent a young guy out. He tried to snake it and ended up destroying his snake, said we needed to get a new drain installed and said someone else would call later to give us an estimate. In the meantime, I went and did some google searching and figured out I have a drum trap ( this thing was built in the 50s) I found the lid and was able to get it off easily, I used the shop vac and sucked everything out.. Just then the second plumber shows up and says they need to jackhammer the concrete and put in a P trap, and that they cant snake the drum trap.
After he leaves I get my snake again and get it about 3 or 4 feet in before it comes to a stop. I cant tell what its hitting, but nothing comes out with the snake.
Everything else drains just fine..toilet, sink, kitchen...
I understand that the drum trap will probably need to be replaced one day.

Is it possible to snake after the trap?? Maybe I need a different plumber to come out? The tenant cant use the shower at all and the first company cant get out quick to install the P trap.

Even if they do switch out the trap, the clog is a good 3 feet past that, so in my mind the new P trap wont do any good right now.

Any ideas on what else I can try?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Reach4

Reaction score
Do you have a place where you could insert a Brasscraft drain bladder? I don't picture being able to do that at the drum trap, but I don't know.

Maybe you could insert a Clog Hog, but you would need some thing to catch the water. I am not a plumber.

Michael Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
On the outlet side of the drum trap you can run your cable through there. if you're using a cheapass drill auger you bought from home depot, you'll never get through. You may want to rent on of their larger machine. You'll be going into a 2" pipe. so don't rent the giant machine. If you have rental properties and you have a little cash to drop, I strongly recommend the ORANGE ridgid auger that sell for about $600 bucks at home depot. trust me, it will pay for itself.

Reach4

Reaction score
if you're using a cheapass drill auger you bought from home depot, you'll never get through.
One of those worked great for me. I actually went through the 1-1/4 trap, and before I knew it, it had played out about 12 ft of snake, and the blockage several feet below the santee had been cleared. I was prepared to enter at the santee, but thought I would try the lazy stay-dry top entry.

travelterp

Reaction score
On the outlet side of the drum trap you can run your cable through there. if you're using a cheapass drill auger you bought from home depot, you'll never get through. You may want to rent on of their larger machine. You'll be going into a 2" pipe. so don't rent the giant machine. If you have rental properties and you have a little cash to drop, I strongly recommend the ORANGE ridgid auger that sell for about $600 bucks at home depot. trust me, it will pay for itself.

thanks for the help!

you're right, I have the cheapass small drill snake. I'll look at Hd for the other one.

the outlet pipe looks smaller than 2". I could be totally wrong though. I have a different guy coming out tonight to try to break up the clog. If I can't get the lid back on the drum, can I use a fernco lid on it??

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks