Replacing rusted drum trap with pvc ptrap.

Users who are viewing this thread

jsarin1

Reaction score
I'm installing a new tub and removing an old drum trap. I'll be replacing the galvanized piping with 2in. PVC/P-Trap using a shielded Fernco between the new and old work.

The pipe to the main drain line is higher than the drum trap, about 2" below the plywood floor above. The bottom of the drum trap was 6" below, to clear a joist. The original piping had (2) 90's and a short vertical run to make up the height difference.

Would it be ok to use (2) 45's after the P Trap to make up this height difference? From what I've read, vertical bends are not good in drains, but I don't know how else to do it. Unless I cut a 2" hole in the joist... Photo attached.

Attachments

• IMG_20240312_021417.jpg
    IMG_20240312_021417.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 42

Reach4

Reaction score
The trap arm-- the pipe between the output of the U of the trap and the vent-- must not go up. It must slope downward.

jsarin1

Reaction score
The ptrap is lower than the pipe that leads to the main sewer line by six inches. This is because of how they had positioned the drum trap.

An alternative to this is to cap off the galvanized pipe and tie this bath tub drain to another 2in. drain that's 15 feet away. Would this be better than reusing the old piping?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
you currently have a drum trap and a p trap ? just cut it all off and run over to the tub tailpiece with a new p trap below just like your bottom drawing shows only ditch those 45s they arent needed

jsarin1

Reaction score
i cut off the drum trap and am trying to replace it with a p trap. But I can't achieve a negative slope after the p trap tail piece because the existing drain pipe is about 8 inches higher.

Can I still install the p trap if I need a vertical run to reach the drain pipe?

Hopefully this new drawing is more clear for what I'm trying to do...

Attachments

• IMG_20240313_154708.jpg
    IMG_20240313_154708.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 29

Reach4

Reaction score
Drum traps work fine, but you are not allowed to put them in new, unfortunately IMO.

What you illustrate will not work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks