How to fix/replace a bent downspout?

Users who are viewing this thread

Questions1

Reaction score
The neighbor's two kids jumped in to and out of my backyard to grab their ball couple of times last night. Caught all on camera. I noticed the gutter or downspout I think it's called if badly bent cos those two kids stepped on it ti get in and out of the fence.
There are two screws each on both side and this is about 15 ft long maybe. I told them I am not DIY and can't do this. they told me they can buy the product if thats what I want but they dont know how to install it. I told them I will try to unscrew the part and take it to homedepot, get the exact size cut and try to screw back myself but if that fails, they need to fix this. I don't want to be superharsh and call a cop or report them for not being with their kids at home etc. they look like 11 years old . I have a child but my kid would never do this nor will we let them do it.

Do you guys know if this is something I can easy remove, get the exact part and size at home depot and do it myself? If it costs few bucks, fine if not I told them I will ask them to take care of it.

Attachments

• downspout.jpg
    downspout.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 87

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Easy to do. You can reuse the existing screws or get new ones. The new down spout will not have holes drilled. Using a hex-head driver or and cordless drill will easily self tap. The pointed point can easily penetrate the aluminum down spout. These spouts are usually sold in 10 ft lengths. Yours look like it is a 3"x4" but also sold in 2"x3" diameters.

shopping

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Drill out the pop rivets to take damaged length apart. It is not a particularly scenic view, so, you could use any non corrosive pipe you like. ABS/PVC, thinwall drain pipe etc.

Markos

Reaction score
WorthFlorida nailed it. Just buy a new 10’ for around $20 at home depot. Take out the old screws (1/4” bit). Install the new pipe.

A few other tips.

1. The female (larger) end of that downspout goes onto the curve. You always want some overlap in the downspouts so the water can’t drip through the gaps, and the upper pipe always slips inside the lower pipe.

2. It is easier to pre-drill the holes, especially if you have a weak cordless screwdriver (instead of an impact driver).

3. If you don’t have a 1/4” bit, you can stick your electric screwdriver right on the screw head, since they are both 1/4”.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks