Replace Moen tub faucet and spout

Users who are viewing this thread

D Williams

Reaction score
I want to replace a Moen tub faucet and spout that's about twenty-one years old. Two guys that do home remodeling told me that the plumbing would have to be accessed through the wall. I called Moen support and was told that I could just replace with a posi-temp faucet with the same screw placement. Which is true?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
You are giving generic question and want an answer to match your needs. be specific valve model number etc. tub faucet to you might mean a tub /shower valve to me . maybe its just a cartridge a hole in wall might need enlarging and bigger cover plate. a typical 21 year old tub shower valve dosent need replacing so Ill ask why are you changing the valve? Hate to be annoying but if you want good answers need to know whats going on?

D Williams

Reaction score
I only want to replace the faucet and spout for a more up-to-date look. It's a tub/shower combo. I don't have the valve number or any other specifics. Obvisouly, plumbing is not my thing so I can't give anymore specific info.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Screw placement is irrelevant if replacing a valve body. Cartridge replacement and trim replacement is viable for most Moen product.
When replacing valve bodies, we only go in through the back. Some plumbers like the challenge of going in through the front, but we refuse to struggle.

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I believe that what you're asking is if you can replace the trim for a tub/shower valve without opening the wall.

If it is a positemp valve, then the answer is yes. You can purchase any trim that is made for a positemp valve and intsall it on the same rough in body without opening the wall.

I would remove the handle and the faceplate first and measure the hole in the wall behind the faceplate to ensure that the new trim you're going to buy will cover the hole diameter.

GReynolds929

Reaction score
If it's a standard valve that takes a 1225 cartridge. You can get a MoenTrol adapter and use available MoenTrol trim but the selection is limited.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Well I guess you need to figure out what you are doing it might take 15 minutes to figure out what a shower valve is and a general idea how its replaced and to figure out if you just want a new handle or a new valve Im not suggesting you learn how to do the job . or just have a plumber do whatever but Id want to understand what he is doing

D Williams

Reaction score
I believe that what you're asking is if you can replace the trim for a tub/shower valve without opening the wall.

If it is a positemp valve, then the answer is yes. You can purchase any trim that is made for a positemp valve and intsall it on the same rough in body without opening the wall.

I would remove the handle and the faceplate first and measure the hole in the wall behind the faceplate to ensure that the new trim you're going to buy will cover the hole diameter.
Trim is what meant. That answered my question. Thank you.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks