Foundation Leak

Users who are viewing this thread

sepptorr

Reaction score
I have a foundation leak and believe it is the hot water side. I noticed that in the entry way that there is a hot spot on the tile (about 2 feet long). I used a thermal imager to verify this fact. I have the shower wall open currently and used a mechanics stethoscope to hear a leak. Tonight I did some youtube troubleshooting. LOL. I isolated the hot water heater but it didn't stop the leak (water meter indicator still spun slowly). I wasn't expecting that result. I then isolated the house shut off valve (to eliminate the sprinkler system) and the meter indicator stopped moving. This tells me that I have a cold water leak. Also, our hot water flows to a bathroom, then laundry, then master bathroom, then another bathroom, then Kitchen. I verified this by timing when hot water was available at each location, over numerous days (this was done years before this problem). Last several months, I have noticed that the bathroom before the kitchen had hot water within seconds. The kitchen takes a little longer. I would assume that means the hot water is flowing after that bathroom. So, to sum this up. I'm lost! This doesn't make any sense to me. Could some please point me in the right directions.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
The water heater shut off valve could be bad and not fully closing. They are usually a gate valve and I have had the stem corrode and break and other times the gate will not fully close. When you close the water heater shut off valve (inlet), does water not flow when you open a hot water valve at a faucet? If it does get the water shut off at the water heater fixed first.

There are companies that can trace water leaks. Unless it can be found under the slab and be able to cut the concrete to make a repair, usually new hot water lines will need to be run through the attic space and down walls to each fixture. That is a lot of work and expense. May want to call your homeowners insurance company right away and they may send a company that can do leak detection. They don't want to mitigate mold removal with any kind of leak. This kind of leak maybe covered by your insurance minus deductibles.

As far as why this bathroom hot water temperature is almost immediate only suggest to me that the hot water line goes between the kitchen and bathroom first before going to the rest of the home. Is this entryway near the kitchen with the hot floor? Is the water heater near this entry?

Last edited:

sepptorr

Reaction score
The water heater shut off valve could be bad and not fully closing. They are usually a gate valve and I have had the stem corrode and break and other times the gate will not fully close. When you close the water heater shut off valve (inlet), does water not flow when you open a hot water valve at a faucet? If it does get the water shut off at the water heater fixed first.

There are companies that can trace water leaks. Unless it can be found under the slab and be able to cut the concrete to make a repair, usually new hot water lines will need to be run through the attic space and down walls to each fixture. That is a lot of work and expense. May want to call your homeowners insurance company right away and they may send a company that can do leak detection. They don't want to mitigate mold removal with any kind of leak. This kind of leak maybe covered by your insurance minus deductibles.

As far as why this bathroom hot water temperature is almost immediate only suggest to me that the hot water line goes between the kitchen and bathroom first before going to the rest of the home. Is this entryway near the kitchen with the hot floor? Is the water heater near this entry?

Thank you for your response!
I checked as you suggested and the hot water still runs but at a slower rate. Indicating a bad value, but I hear no water flowing past the value (using scope). I cycled the value and you can hear flow very loudly when slightly opened. The flow rate would cause some noise (not a drip but flow/enough to wash your hands). I isolated the house water and it stopped. Also, indicating a bad hot water heater. But, the water coming out of the hot water side is cold(with hot water value shut). I first thought it was the hot water heater draining through the pipes. Scratching my head! The person who lived here before me was extremely cheap. Is there a possibility that a shower value (internal leak), crossed piped(I doubt because reduced flow), etc would cause this cross over.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks