Cold water bypass in Delta cartridge

Users who are viewing this thread

rtsqurrel

Reaction score
Plumber for 30 years.
Strong Delta pusher for most of that time.
Today, troubleshooting a lack of hot water call.
This is a long time client, but they also use a local big shop for their HVAC and stuff I am not available to address immediately.
Last year, they suspected their water heater was dying and I replaced it. It was 20 years old, so I didn't dispute the need for replacement. During the water heater install, I noticed that cold water kept coming out of the open hot water pipe, stopping me from a good solder job. I knew there was a bypass happening, but didn't have time to inspect all 4-1/2 bathrooms, laundry, bar sink & 2 kitchens. I turned off the whole house & finished the install.
This week, they report the lack of hot water, mostly at the master shower, never at the adjacent hot shower. Master shower is the end of the line for hot water in this home. Through several steps, I was able to determine the bypass was happening in the adjacent shower control. Delta 14 series.
I pulled the cartridge and noticed one of the rubber check valves in the hot "leg" was pushed up into the cartridge and not doing its job. Swapped in new cartridge, problem solved.
I've never seen this before with Delta but suspect it may be more common. I'm used to Kohler & Moens causing this issue. Adding this to the memory banks.
I'll try to post photos later.

Breplum

Licensed plumbing contractor
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing. Plumbing 50 yrs.
I can confirm that I've had bypass on Kohler K304 series and also on old KWC cartridge showers. Cartridge assembly replacement positively solved. The KWC was long ago and not many of those around.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I had that with Moen and the "bold look" but never with a Delta

Then again I am only dabbling in plumbing for 56 years (not including my 3 years in the USN)

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks