Dual back-to-back tank-in-wall wall hung toilets in 6" wall

Users who are viewing this thread

DOD

Reaction score
Hello all,
I have a mid-70's slab house with two small bathrooms separated by a 6" stud wall. I'm in Texas, and during Hurricane Harvey my home morphed into a U-Boat. I was looking at bathroom fixtures, and liked the residential wall-hung toilets because of the clean lines and the huge space savings from the tank being located in the wall. I liked the Toto line, but could easily be convinced otherwise.

My problem is getting 2 tanks into the wall. Unless I'm missing the idea, no product seems to directly address this.

Any good U-Boat needs 2 ballast tanks, right?.....

Thank you!
Dave

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
The wall-hung guts take up the space in a 2x4 wall completely. Back to back, you'll need to fir out one side to get two units inside the wall, back to back.

DOD

Reaction score
Thanks very much for your suggestion. I could fir out one wall by 2" to make room for the tanks, as you said. However, I wouldn't know how to plumb the pair of separate 4" waste lines with the tanks and toilets being so close together. Is there a special fixture that would handle this situation, and also route the vent so it wasn't bumping into the two tanks?

Thank you!
Dave

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
Toto-WT151M-01-Cotton-White-In-Wall-Tank-System-1.6GPF-0.9GPF-51859d0f-d8f6-4573-bd62-f0305d227987_600.jpg

The vent goes to the side of the tank. These have a 3" drain, and many fittings are available depending on what your existing plumbing looks like. Is this on a concrete slab, over a crawlspace, or on a second story?

Last edited:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
We have a number of wall-hungs in our beach house. To my mind, the Toto Aquia wall-hung bowl is the best. Performs most "normally", cleans the bowl well, looks good. The Toto tank system is flexible and works well.

DOD

Reaction score
The bathrooms are on the ground floor of a concrete-slab home. I've pulled the two toilets, but have not jacked any concrete. There's a 3" vent line coming out the concrete a few inches to the side of where the two waste lines intersect, so I suspect that a double 90 bend was used as the connection. There is no 2nd floor continuation of the waste line, it services only the ground floor (i.e. there's no stack upwards).
Thank you!
Dave

ImageHandler.ashx

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
back_to_back.jpg

Toilets back to back without the proper fitting will push water out of the opposing bowl during a flush.
Newer toilets flush much quicker and need better ways of plumbing them in to prevent the water in the bowl from disappearing.

DOD

Reaction score
Terry,
Sorry, I included the picture of the double 90 bend because I think that's what's under the concrete now. It's got to come out, along with the short runs up to both toilet flanges.
If I pack 2 Toto in-wall tanks into the same 8" wall space, then there's going to be a pair 3" waste lines coming down vertically side-by-side. To mate up with the existing 4"waste line, I need a fitting that might look something like this:
Thanks!
Dave
P.S. Thanks for the great installation video of the Toto unit. Very helpful!!!

upload_2017-11-16_23-24-59.png

SH2

Reaction score
I know this is an old thread but I have the exact same issue but over a crawl space. Is there a purpose made fitting available for this situation?

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks