drilling SS sink?

Users who are viewing this thread

dellphinus

Reaction score
Greetings,

I need to drill a 1 1/4" hole in a stainless sink, to install a filtered water tap. Is a standard bi-metal hole saw, low speed, the way to go, or is there a specail bit/hole saw just for this purpose?

Thanks,
DP

dellphinus

Reaction score
I use punch sets to make holes in stainless... Very tough stuff!

I was afraid I'd get an answer like that- I hate to pull the sink to punch it- could I drill up thru the counter and get enough clearance to get the punch on? ANd how big is the hole neeed for the punch bolt? (I'm assuming the punch is like a Greenlee used in electrical work?)

Bob NH

In the Trades
Reaction score
What makes stainless tough is that it work-hardens. Slow speed so that you get a good cut, with VERY HEAVY pressure, is usually necessary for drilling. A drill press is usually the best way.

Since you will be installing a device that probably has a flange with some overlap on the hole you may not need a perfect hole. You could try a Dremel tool with an abrasive cutting wheel.

An abrasive hole saw might also do it. A toothed saw on thin metal can be very difficult once it gets through in a small area.

Redwood

Master Plumber
Reaction score
That is what I use! You don't need to pull the sink, Just have long arms or, a second set of them.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
hole

Are you describing an undermount stainless steel sink which means you have to drill through the countertop and the sink? If so, then the item probably has a large enough flange so it would cover the larger hole needed for the mandrel on top, and then the die would be on the bottom.

dellphinus

Reaction score
Hole punch it is! Thanks all! (And yes, it's a standard self rimming undermount SS sink, just one hole short.

And come to think of it, there's no counter under the fixture deck on the sink, so maybe just the punch.

Actually, you know- wife wanted a new sink anyway- maybe I'll save myself a little work, and score a few points...

Last edited: