How to Drill Thru Stainless »and« Granite?

Users who are viewing this thread

slantsixdan

Reaction score
I need to drill a 1-3/8" hole through the deck of a stainless kitchen sink top-mounted on a granite countertop. I understand how to drill thru the deck of a stainless sink, and how to drill thru a granite countertop. But I need to do both at the same time, and I think that'll make problems. If I use the sort of bit generally used for stainless, the center small pilot will stop as soon as it goes thru the stainless and hits the granite, won't it, thus keeping the 1-3/8" body of the bit from reaching the stainless. If I can get the hole done in the stainless, that would provide a nice guide for the diamond-crust bit to go thru the granite, but…am I missing something basic here? Is there some other tool completely for this? Thanks!

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Not sure how you plan on cutting the SS sink. The easiest way is to remove the sink, a drop in's are very easy to remove. First remove the sink, drill the granite, then line up the SS sink over the granite hole to get an exact center point. The sink is probably attached with a bead of silicone or caulking, this could make it a bit difficult to remove.

For granite. The trick is as the bit is cutting, have a wet sponge around the bit to keep it cool.

For the SS sink, you must use a knock out punch; Drill a small hole, insert the arbor, then the cutter.

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sometimes the sinks are clamped down in a number of differant ways , typically the sink is on site for the stone guy to make the cuttout or drill holes

slantsixdan

Reaction score
Not sure how you plan on cutting the SS sink.

Like this or like this or like this.

First remove the sink, drill the granite, then line up the SS sink over the granite hole to get an exact center point

Wait a sec...how am I to line up the sink over the new granite hole, when there's not yet a hole in the SS sink to line up with the hole in the granite?

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
You stated top mounted, that his a drop on sink as shown below.

After the granite is drill at the location it needs to be, drop in the sink center it up. From the bottom with a sharpe, make a circle on the SS lip through the drillEd hole.

Before removing the sink, mark the granite where the sink is and measure where you need to drill.

Drop in SS sinks are not that expensive, might be easier just buy a sink with the holes needed.

You can drill the sink first if you want to but it needs to be removed.

IMG_1079.png

Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
1 , remove sink drill hole in sink 2, place sink in granite with tape over granite mark hole 3 remove sink make hole in granite .
there could be more fine details , like you may want to cut a bigger hole in granite so faucet screws down tite against sink otherwise the sink will pull down against the granite or place washers in between the sink and granite. basicaly you have cut the professional installer out of the project so you have to do a little figureing really easy basic stuff though.

slantsixdan

Reaction score
Well…yeah, I guess there's really no way around drilling the sink and the countertop separately. The more I think of it, the more that probably is actually easier than trying to do them both at once. Thanks for the guidance, everybody.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
sure your welcome you might concider cutting the stone out larger than the hole but covered by sink of cource . might be cheaper a diamond grinder wheel vs a hole saw you might never use again

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks