Dishwasher won't drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Bonnie

Reaction score
I bought a new house in June 2004 that came with a GE Triton dishwasher. It has been used < 20 times. Now when I run the dishwasher, the tub does not completely drain of water. There is about 1/2-3/4 inch of water in the bottom of the tub. I tried the "Rinse Only" option and still no luck. The dishwasher is connected to a pipe above the garbage disposal (if memory server's me right) and a really long hose to the air gap. I plan to call a technician out but would like some idea of what is happening beforehand. It's a shame that the appliance didn't last any longer than it did.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
That might be normal...did you check the user's manual? A little water in the bottom might not hurt anything assuming it is clean from the rinse cycle. The hose could be partially clogged, restricting the flow.

Verdeboy

In the Trades
Reaction score
Sometimes when the dishwasher doesn't drain all the way, the problem is in the garbage disposal. Unplug the disposal and check out the little hole where the dishwasher drains into the garbage disposal. It is about 1/2 way down and about the diameter of your index finger. Try cleaning it out with a metal hanger. Also, make sure your garbage disposal is working right and the water is draining quickly. [If the disposal is jammed, try using the big allen wrench that came with the disposal. It fits in a hole under the disposal in the middle. Turn it a few times back and forth to free up anything that might be jamming it and (with garbage disposal unplugged) remove the offending material with a long pliers or forceps. There's also a reset button on the bottom of the disposal that may need to be pushed in if the disposal doesn't work at all.]

The dishwasher is on a timer, so if the water isn't evacuated in time, it will sit at the bottom. You may have a slight clog in your drain. If you do, try removing the trap, if you can, and clean out what you are able to or try a kitchen-safe drain cleaner. There's a small chance that the timer in the dishwasher is defective, but that is very expensive to replace if it isn't under warranty, so try these simple things first.

Eric

Last edited:

ggraves427

Reaction score
GE Triton XL dishwasher won't drain

I have a 4 year old GE Triton XL that would not drain on any cycle. Disconnected drain line from disposal and blew through hose, just bubbled up in bottom of dishwasher, no help. Mine does not have an air gap valve.
Put vinegar in dishwasher over night, no help. Other posts said to push rinse cycle then right after it starts push reset button on the control panel and it will drain imediately, not mine. I remembered I had always heard water rushing into the disposal when the water was draining, but not lately. Decided drain pump was clogged. Pulled washer out (it is really prettly light) from under the counter after I turned the water off and disconnect hose under the sink, took the drain line off the disposal and turned off the electricity. I turned it over on it side for easier access.
Saw where drain line hook to dishwasher at drain pump and disconnect drain line. I blew through that end, seemed to be clear. Removed 2 screws that hold the drain pump and loosened inlet hose clamp to detach drain pump completely. Went to garage and put electricity to the pump 4 times nothing. Decided my pump was burned out. NOT! Applied power one more time and it ran intermittently and kind of vibrated in my hand.
Took 3 screws out that hold pump halves together and BAM there it was. A piece of a swizzle stick (don't ask) was blocking the pump vanes. Put pump halves back together and applied power one more time-ran like a hummingbird. Reassembled in reverse order and it works perfect not to mention I can hear the water running into the disposal when the drain pump activates to drain. Presented my wife a bill for $200, still waiting to get paid, but I have a smile on my face.

hj

Master Plumber
Reaction score
Website
www.terrylove.com
Most dishwashers have a check valve in the drain line, but when it finally breaks the water in the hose drain drains back into it. The longer the hose and the way it is connected will determine how much water there is and thus how much ends up back in the dishwasher.