Delta R10000, Low pressure from hot water in shower

Users who are viewing this thread

Angler2184

Reaction score
I recently finished a remodel of my bathroom. I have very low pressure when I turn the shower valve all the way to hot. Its fine on cold and also in the middle. Its low pressure from both the spout and shower head. I checked the sink in the bathroom and the hot water pressure is good there. I have the delta r100000 valve. Thanks for the help...

20181029_152358.jpg

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
If you bought the R10000 version with built-in stops, pull the trim off and make sure that the hot one is fully opened. The other thing is that there's some crud in the cartridge.

Angler2184

Reaction score
If you bought the R10000 version with built-in stops, pull the trim off and make sure that the hot one is fully opened. The other thing is that there's some crud in the cartridge.

I took the trim off but didnt see any stops. Only thing was the anti scald setting. I made sure that was turn all the way on. Also took the delta rp56074 cartridge out and flushed the lines again. There seems to be equal pressure on both hot and cold with the cartridge out.

Angler2184

Reaction score
I replaced the cartridge and the pressure is still low. I checked the flow...Cold water is about 2.5 gpm, all the way over to hot its 2gpm...

Angler2184

Reaction score
I have also replace an old shutoff valve that was before the shower and still no improvement....

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Get a bucket and a watch with a second hand. Measure how much water comes out of the showerhead in a minute. Then, unscrew the shower head and see what volume you get. Federal rules call for NGT 2.5 gpm, but that's at a particular pressure. IF yours is higher or lower, the volume could be higher or lower, but still close to that NGT 2.5 gpm. Note, some shower heads are designed to use less water by design. WIthout the restriction of a showerhead, you should get a bit more than 2.5 gpm, but it may not be a lot more. Many shower valves have a restriction to the head, verses a tub spout, if one exists.

It's possible your showerhead is clogged up a bit. If you used PTFE tape to seal it, and got a bit over the end, that could be blocking some flow.

If the volume out of the shower head is around 2.5 gpm, and you don't like it, it's time to look for a different shower head. They are not all created equal.

Angler2184

Reaction score
Get a bucket and a watch with a second hand. Measure how much water comes out of the showerhead in a minute. Then, unscrew the shower head and see what volume you get. Federal rules call for NGT 2.5 gpm, but that's at a particular pressure. IF yours is higher or lower, the volume could be higher or lower, but still close to that NGT 2.5 gpm. Note, some shower heads are designed to use less water by design. WIthout the restriction of a showerhead, you should get a bit more than 2.5 gpm, but it may not be a lot more. Many shower valves have a restriction to the head, verses a tub spout, if one exists.

It's possible your showerhead is clogged up a bit. If you used PTFE tape to seal it, and got a bit over the end, that could be blocking some flow.

If the volume out of the shower head is around 2.5 gpm, and you don't like it, it's time to look for a different shower head. They are not all created equal.

I am getting reduced volume in both the spout and shower head....Is there a way i can backflush the rough in valve and head?

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Shut your water off. Pull the cartridge out, close the shower curtain or door, and momentarily turn the water back on. You might want someone to look at it while the water gets turned on.

As to the head, try removing it and looking at the flow through the arm after you've flushed the valve body. IF it's more than 2.5gpm, it's all you're going to get, since the head has an internal restrictor to that value...think sort of like a hose with no nozzle...put your thumb over the end, you start to restrict the flow, but it goes faster and further. As long as the head gets at least the amount it's restricted to, that's about all it will need.

Angler2184

Reaction score
I measured the volume coming out of shower head arm without the head attached. I am only getting 1.5 gallons per minute when it is turned all the way to hot.

Jadnashua

Reaction score
Most valves will put out closer to at least 3gpm to the shower arm so that there's enough for the flow restricted shower head to max out. So, with only 1.5gpm, nearly any shower head would seem weak. For that to happen, there must be some restriction in the line somewhere. From here, can't tell you where. Some valves have in-line or internal filters, it could be in the cartridge, or maybe some debris that got caught up along the path. If there are in-line shutoffs to the valve, one of them may not be fully opened or the washer (if the design uses one) has started to come apart, partially blocking the flow.

Does the maximum flow rate vary based on the temperature? Say you tried all cold, or as close to that as your valve will allow, does the volume increase? If there's any galvanized pipe or fittings in the system, the hot side will tend to corrode sooner than the cold. When it gets bad, the internal rust can nearly block the flow. Do you get a spurt or constant rust colored water when you turn it on?

People often confuse volume with pressure. You appear to have a volume problem. The actual pressure through a soda straw versus a fire hose could be the same, but you'll get lots more flow through the fire hose (assuming the supply can handle it). The dynamic pressure drops when there are more openings than the supply can handle (or, there's a lot of friction in the supply line like from excessive distance or the number of fittings, not the case here). That's what you're seeing, the head is designed to flow more water than there is. The rudimentary problem is volume deficiency, not pressure.

gplumberman

Reaction score
I got clobbered big time on this same valve. I ended up with a calcium/hardness buildup inside the valve. What are you are describing seems like either the hot has less flow, or you need another cartridge.

I would shut everything off, pull the cartridge, have somebody in the basement open each side for 10 or 20 seconds or whatever. Measure how much water after each of the two tests. I predict a hot will have less water.

If the two have about the same water/flow, I would change the cartridge again.

Master Plumber Mark

Sensitivity trainer and plumber of mens souls
Reaction score
indianapolis indiana - land of the free, home of
Website
www.weilhammerplumbing.com
The big mistake you made was putting tile all the way up to the faucet...
You should have used the rough in plate that they provided and given yourself more room to work .
I dont know if you used all pex or soldered this valve in.. perhaps its
a solder ball stuck before the stop going into the valve.....

If you take a cold chisel or a flat screwdriver and stick it back into the faucet
on the hot side and give the body of the faucet a few medium smacks with that
chisel and a hammer.... then with the cartridge out of the body
turn on the water full stream for a few seconds and see if you can blow something out
it could dislodge whatever is stuck in it...

if this dont work you are probably gonna change out that valve....

good luck

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks