Delta Bonnet Nut

Users who are viewing this thread

Blooze

Reaction score
So, I suck at any plumbing and typically stay away from any of it, but our Delta single handle kitchen faucet keeps leaking at the cartridge and filling up and running down under the cabinet. I took it apart last week and the cap was stuck to the bonnet. So I put it all back together, snugged it up, and ordered a new cap, bonnet, and diamond cartridge.

Super simple fix, I realize, and figured I can handle this one. My question though is how tight to make the bonnet nut? Hand tight as I can get it then 1/8 turn with a wrench? I just see comments like, tighten with a wrench, but don't over-tighten.

Should I put some silicone grease on the bonnet threads and cap threads as well to make future repairs easier?

Blooze

Reaction score
I ended up just hand tightening it with my off-hand as tight as I could then gave it an 1/8 turn. Seemed to work. I put a small amount of Danco 88693 waterproof food grade silicone grease on the threads of the bonnet and cap. I replaced the o-ring on the faucet for the swivel head as well since it was missing altogether and put a small amount of grease on it too. It seems a little more solid now too. I'm assuming this grease will not harm plastic since the o-ring is at the bottom of the plastic housing right above the counter.

Mr tee

In the Trades
Reaction score
I like to use silicone grease in the same way you did. It makes taking it apart next time easier. Silicone grease will not harm plastic or the O-ring.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks