Can I make a DIY flush valve for a urinal?

Users who are viewing this thread

Markf111

Reaction score
I'm getting a ceramic urinal for really cheap and I don't want to spend $150+ for a flush valve. It's just a man cave urinal so doesn't need to be fancy. It's a washout urinal so from my understanding liquids should just flow out freely down the drain. I could just throw some water down it if I want, or I could install a spigot above it. But then I had the idea that maybe I could simply connect a water hose to the top spud with an inline cut-off switch. Would this work for a typical urinal? Or do the top spuds have some kind of mechanism prohibiting flow unless activated by a flush valve? In other words, if I were to pour water into a top spud, would it flow down into the urinal? I'm not a plumber so I have no idea how this stuff works but I could put it together if it's that simple. The urinal I'm probably getting is a TOTO UT104E#01.

Thanks!

Markf111

Reaction score
Flushometers have vacuum breakers built in. That is normally to prevent a cross connection.

Thanks Terry. I'm not sure if I totally understand, so between the top stud of a urinal and the little holes where water comes out, there's some kind of vacuum or seal preventing flow until it's activated by the flushometer? I can't force water through with a certain PSI? Is there any way I can jerry rig it to work the way I'm wanting?

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Just checked out "urinal flush valve" on eBay.. lots of options for under $100 that are better than a direct connection or a 5 gal bucket flush system.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks