Cabinet guys cut pipe short- Is this enough pipe for drain?

Users who are viewing this thread

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Cabinet guys cut this way short, if I attach wye here to add drain + clean out is that connection point going to leak? Should I get the hub saver instead and attach longer pipe or is that riskier? 2” pvc.

Have a few other similar ones, what’s the minimum length I should feel ok about using?

Thank you!

IMG_7653.jpeg

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Assuming the stub out is good enough, is this a quality setup?i just dry fit it, any room for improvements? Was debating finding a wye that had 1-1/2 straight out and 2” off to the side instead. This is all I had at the moment though.

Attachments

• IMG_7667.jpeg
    IMG_7667.jpeg
    96.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_7668.jpeg
    IMG_7668.jpeg
    96.6 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_7666.jpeg
    IMG_7666.jpeg
    113.3 KB · Views: 38

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
marginal , probebly ok but a good idea to remove the pipe from the hub and glue in a new stub

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
While its less than ideal, the fact that its exposed makes the risk minimal.

I think your configuration will work fine.

Sylvan

Still learning
Reaction score
I personally would not trust it BUT you may want to get a PVC coupling and measure the inside cup then if it is deep enough for the pipe to fit most of the way then just add a nipple on the other side

PepeLePue

Reaction score
While its less than ideal, the fact that its exposed makes the risk minimal.

I think your configuration will work fine.
What would you do if it was your sink?

I ordered this I think I'm going to switch out the wye to one of these to use less fittings.

Dishwasher set up works too?

PepeLePue

Reaction score
I personally would not trust it BUT you may want to get a PVC coupling and measure the inside cup then if it is deep enough for the pipe to fit most of the way then just add a nipple on the other side
You're saying the coupling may have a shallower connection than the wye?

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the wye is for a cleanout but if its just 1 1/2 Id just use a tubular ptrap unless you anticipate running a snake often.
The issue is you only got a bit of pipe to glue to all hubs are standard depth . Just take your pick glue it up or get that bit out by using a ram bit or the old fasioned way of cutting it and using heat

PepeLePue

Reaction score
I think the wye is for a cleanout but if its just 1 1/2 Id just use a tubular ptrap unless you anticipate running a snake often.
The issue is you only got a bit of pipe to glue to all hubs are standard depth . Just take your pick glue it up or get that bit out by using a ram bit or the old fasioned way of cutting it and using heat

Correct, want to include a cleanout. However, using a 2x2x2 wye, I would have to use a bushing or reducer out of the center. Thats why I want to pick up the 2x 1.5 x 2 wye, so I can avoid using a bushing. I don't think enough space to use a reducer anyways. Just looks neater/cleaner and easier to snake since the p-trap wouldn't be blocking access to the clean out.

Fully intend to use tubular p-trap. I had thought about a LA trap but will probably just return all of those fittings I bought to keep it simple and easy to install.

Last edited:

GReynolds929

Reaction score
I think the bigger question here is why did the cabinet guys touch your plumbing?...

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
What would you do if it was your sink?

I ordered this I think I'm going to switch out the wye to one of these to use less fittings.

Dishwasher set up works too?
If it were me and I didn't own the $60 tool to simply ream out the pipe from the socket that takes about 1 minute to accomplish, I would just glue it up as is. All ABS and PVC fittings under 3" have 3/4" depth sockets so a coupling will be the same depth as that WYE fitting... which I have Never in my life seen!

watch out for knock off brands...

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
I think the bigger question here is why did the cabinet guys touch your plumbing?...
to install the cabinet long stub outs get wacked sometimes , I dont like it but choose your battles I been known to take a saw to a cabinet as well LOL so many trades are dumb AF at least leav an inch and nobody would care. ok cource an easy fix we dont need no tool. tiny tim saw, a screw driver and possibly some heat off the torch gettr done !

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
I found this in my plumbing bag. Must have bought it when i found it on sale a while back. Good enough or is this one of the knock offs?

I haven't used that version, but it looks like its made to do the same job. Pic says Reed, but its amazon so I'm always leary of scammy products. Easy test would be to see if it fits snugish into the 2" socket of a random fitting and fits the front part into 2" pipe.

PepeLePue

Reaction score
I haven't used that version, but it looks like its made to do the same job. Pic says Reed, but its amazon so I'm always leary of scammy products. Easy test would be to see if it fits snugish into the 2" socket of a random fitting and fits the front part into 2" pipe.
Great, thank you for your help, always appreciated!

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Good eye Ive bought quality stuff off amazon and Im not skitish at all about it but .... I clicked on the Reed Store and its some sort of leather store, Ive never used a reed genuine reamer but that thing looks kinda cheezy like my 10 dollar ram bit with some red paint well not quite but I think its a knock off . Im very leary of that particular item!

PepeLePue

Reaction score
Just quick update here. The bit worked it seems. Took some time to cut through all of that but ultimately works. Left a small OD around the cut area of the old pipe but with the friction from cutting it basically peeled off. Hole left behind was a little loose but I used a ton of primer and glue and seems to be holding up ok.

I used a street 45 off the wall to slightly offset the wye so wouldn’t bump into my tailpiece. Definitely thankful for all of the extra parts I bought vs running back and forth to the store!!

Pic below any constructive feedback welcomed! Thanks for the help everyone

Attachments

• IMG_7734.jpeg
    IMG_7734.jpeg
    84.4 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_7733.jpeg
    IMG_7733.jpeg
    85.5 KB · Views: 31
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks