Bubbling toilet in apartment

Users who are viewing this thread

emactivate

Reaction score
So I live on the first floor of a 3 story apartment. I had issues with my toilet bubbling and the tub backing up sewage whenever someone flushed upstairs. Last week they brought in Roto Rooter and snaked the tub to the street (and I think the toilet too. I believe they also did the unit next door as well, because we share the same plumbing or something). They said it was all good to go. But the next day, I had the shower running as I was cleaning the tub. The toilet started bubbling again. Maintenance didn't seem very worried and told me to let hot shower water run for a bit. It was fine for a day or 2, and then it started bubbling again. I think the guy next door had water running or something.

Should I be worried about the tub backing up sewage again?? Should I keep bugging maintenance every time it bubbles?

royalflush001

Reaction score
Bubbling can be a sign of a partial clog or air in the drain lines, not necessarily a full-blown sewage backup. However, it's important to monitor the situation and address it before it worsens. Note down the times when the bubbling occurs and if it coincides with specific activities like showering or someone using the plumbing upstairs. This information will be helpful for maintenance to diagnose the problem.

John Gayewski

In the Trades
Reaction score
If your venting is insufficient then there's nothing that can be done other than opening the walls to reconfigure the piping. That's likley not going to happen. As long as the drain lines are not backing up that's probably the best you can hope for. You might want to find a different apartment if your worried about it and the drains have already been cleared.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks