Toilet bubbling, tub backing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

emactivate

Reaction score
So I live on the first floor of a 3 story apartment. I had issues with my toilet bubbling and the tub backing up sewage whenever someone flushed upstairs. Last week they brought in Roto Rooter and snaked the tub to the street (and I think the toilet too. I believe they also did the unit next door as well, because we share the same plumbing or something). They said it was all good to go. But the next day, I had the shower running as I was cleaning the tub. The toilet started bubbling again. Maintenance didn't seem very worried and told me to let hot shower water run for a bit. It was fine for a couple days and then it started bubbling and stuff came up from the tub again. There's no standing water (at least not yet), just sandy residue. I think the guy next door had water running or something.

It's Saturday and maintenance will be here Monday to put main line cleaner down the drains. He says I should be fine to use the toilet (and assuming shower as well). He says probably just pushing the rest of the stuff out after they snaked it.

I'm still worried that me (or the guy next door) using the toilet/shower might make it worse...especially because idk what's causing it.

royalflush001

Reaction score
There could be several possibilities -
  • Incomplete Clean: While snaking usually clears blockages, sometimes debris can be pushed further down the line and settle later, causing another backup.
  • Vent Pipe Issue: A blocked or damaged vent pipe can also cause bubbling and backflow, even if the main drain is clear.
  • Shared Drain Issues: Since you suspect the unit next door shares the same plumbing, their usage could impact your drain flow and contribute to backups.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
It aint fixed simple answer . a experianced plumber or drain guy Its a plugged drain and you cant fix the problem yourself Im being practical we have already established other units cause issue apt , conjd whatever we dont know that or if you are footing the bill . but if you feel you can tackle it and start pulling toilets or going in other units and snaking let us know

Tuttles Revenge

In the Trades
Reaction score
Definitely a clogged main line. The drain cleaner should run a camera down the drain after cleaning to verify they got the job done.

On a side note, drain cleaners should always run a camera down the drain and record the length of the drain. Not only to verify they got the job done, but to inspect the line for breakages that could ultimately lead to further work.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks