Brand new Korky fill valve leaking

Users who are viewing this thread

janjacks

Reaction score

Hello!

I noticed my Toto CST864 was hissing. Turns out, it was over filling. I replaced the cap (R528FL) in the fill valve and cleaned all the parts of the fill valve, and that didn't solve the problem. I put the Fluidmaster 400A valve in, and while it stopped over filling, I wasn't pleased with the increased noise it made. It also didn't send enough water to the bowl... I found it very difficult to work with. I think the tower was too tall (I'm pretty sure the tank lid was resting on it but I couldn't tell for sure).

So I bought a brand new Korky 528MFR Platinum. I got that all installed, and noticed that after it shuts off, there's still a hissing sound, and water drips out the top of the tower. After about 30 minutes, I could see that the tank water level had risen 1" and was about to start spilling into the overflow tube.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

Reach4

Reaction score
Get a water pressure gauge with a garden hose thread. Put that on a hose spigot, a laundry spigot, or the water heater drain valve. See if the pressure is high.

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
So I bought a brand new Korky 528MFR Platinum. I got that all installed, and noticed that after it shuts off, there's still a hissing sound, and water drips out the top of the tower. After about 30 minutes, I could see that the tank water level had risen 1" and was about to start spilling into the overflow tube.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on here?

It's normal for water to drip off the valve in several places when it's open. That's part of the anti-siphon features.

It is NOT normal for it to be unable to shut off the water. Given that 3 valves now have failed to do so, Reach is correct, you most likely have very-high water pressure, because the Korky can withstand high pressure and still shut off. Get yourself a little $4 gauge, and put it on anything with a standard screw-on spigot, like an outside hose bib. Let us know your readings. Sometimes, the cycling of your water heater, if you don't have an expansion tank (or if you have a failed expansion tank), will cause significant swings in pressure. At a certain point, the excess pressure will be relieved through the path of least resistance, usually an outside hose bib that isn't firmly shut off or, ta-da!, a toilet fill valve.

Let us know what you find.

janjacks

Reaction score
Get yourself a little $4 gauge, and put it on anything with a standard screw-on spigot, like an outside hose bib. Let us know your readings. Sometimes, the cycling of your water heater, if you don't have an expansion tank (or if you have a failed expansion tank), will cause significant swings in pressure. At a certain point, the excess pressure will be relieved through the path of least resistance, usually an outside hose bib that isn't firmly shut off or, ta-da!, a toilet fill valve.

Let us know what you find.

70 psi!

Reach4

Reaction score
Normal. It was worth checking.

One more check. After a shower, be careful to not use additional water. See if you get much pressure rise as the water in the water heater reheats.

Maybe you have just had a bad run of luck, as unlikely as that seems.

Last edited:

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Are you on a well, or a public water system? Sometimes, you get some sand pumped through, and that can mess with the sealing ability of any valve.

janjacks

Reaction score
Normal. It was worth checking.

One more check. After a shower, be careful to not use additional water. See if you get much pressure rise as the water in the water heater reheats.

Maybe you have just had a bad run of luck, as unlikely as that seems.

Toilet repair put on hold for a few days! I didn't have the gauge to use anymore, so couldn't check after a shower. I am going to try another fill valve. This time it isn't the platinum Korky. We will see if there is still a problem.

janjacks

Reaction score
Are you on a well, or a public water system? Sometimes, you get some sand pumped through, and that can mess with the sealing ability of any valve.
It's a municipal water supply. Our biggest issue is with manganese... it's a by-product of the flocculant my city used to use to treat the water. There was lots of manganese sediment in the toilet, which ended up getting removed after having to sponge the water out so many times!

I purchased another valve to try. The next step, if this Korky one doesn't work, is to try an authentic Toto fill valve.

Reach4

Reaction score
I purchased another valve to try. The next step, if this Korky one doesn't work, is to try an authentic Toto fill valve.
I think the Toto is a Korky. You might have luck with Fluidmaster.

Jadnashua

Retired Defense Industry Engineer xxx
Reaction score
Toto uses more than one valve, but many of them are made for them by Korky. 70psi should be well within a valve's ability to work reliably. Keep in mind that when you shut the water off, then turn it back on, it tends to dislodge some crud from inside of the pipes. Sometimes, it's a good idea to remove the seal, put a glass or something over the top, then turn the water back on for say 10-seconds to purge out any crud. Then, reassemble it. That can make the difference in some things working verses leaking, depending on the condition of your pipes and your water supply.

janjacks

Reaction score
Toto uses more than one valve, but many of them are made for them by Korky. 70psi should be well within a valve's ability to work reliably. Keep in mind that when you shut the water off, then turn it back on, it tends to dislodge some crud from inside of the pipes. Sometimes, it's a good idea to remove the seal, put a glass or something over the top, then turn the water back on for say 10-seconds to purge out any crud. Then, reassemble it. That can make the difference in some things working verses leaking, depending on the condition of your pipes and your water supply.

I actually did that with the first valve. I used a red Solo cup!

janjacks

Reaction score
So, folks, I think I have it solved.

With this, my 2nd Korky fill valve, I was curious about this anti-tamper device that contractors are supposed to install for rental properties. I couldn't figure out how to make it go in. And then it dawned on me... when I turned the top after I was done adjusting the height to lock it, I wasn't forceful enough. This time I made it click into place properly. It's been installed for 90 minutes now, with the water on, and it isn't leaking anymore.

Thank you all for your input. I have learned so much!

korky_instructions_2.jpg

korky_instructions_3.jpg

20170913_210025.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

WJcandee

Wise One
Reaction score
Good job of diagnosing the problem yourself! And thanks for reporting your results. I will put that in my bag of possibilities for when folks raise similar issues in the future. Normally, if the valve is not locked firmly in place, it will shoot up in height from the water pressure as soon as you turn the water on, making it very-obvious what is wrong. When you twist, the valve actually rises a smidge to lock in place. When you turn on the water, the pressure keeps it pressing upwards, so it is difficult to twist down to unlock. Sounds like yours was right on the cusp of locking, so it didn't shoot up and would seem to be firmly in place while the water was on.

PS That "contractor tab" used to be something that everyone was encouraged to install. It immobilizes the valve so mischevious folks can't fool with it, but it's a PITA to install and a bigger PITA to remove if you -- the person in charge -- want to adjust the water level. I think Korky found out that it wasn't really-truly necessary because as I mentioned above the design of the valve makes it very difficult to unlock while the water is turned on (you have to push down against the water pressure and then try to turn it). However, a lot of knowledgeable folks and pros (including my favorite local plumber) don't like walking away from the valve without being absolutely-certain that it's going to remain in the position that they left it, and would rebel if Korky discontinued providing the clip. So Korky continues to include the clip, but downplays its significance in the instructions now.

Also, I do it a little-differently than Korky recommends, because of the tendency of the valve to slide up a bit when you go to remove it in 3(b) before locking it, thus ruining your careful efforts to get the level just-right. Instead, after I adjust the valve to the height I want, I reach under the porcelain and just hold the shank of the valve with my hand from underneath while it is still sitting in the hole. Then I turn it to lock it. Then I pull it out of the toilet and install the clip if I am going to do so. (That's the reason the instructions originally called for it to be removed after setting the height; you have to have it out to more-easily install that clip.) If I'm not installing the clip, I leave it locked, and spin the plastic nut from underneath onto the threads lightly, confirm the position I want the valve to be in, and hand-tighten the nut the rest of the way. Or, again if not installing the clip, I will spin that plastic nut on lightly early in the process after I have put the valve into the hole, and thus can more-easily raise and lower the valve with one hand. I also often lock and unlock the valve not by turning the valve from the top, but by spinning the shank from below while holding the valve in the same position at the top. But you can only do that when the plastic nut is loose and the water is turned off.

Again, great job!

Last edited:
Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks