BOB Multiturn Sink Shutoff Washers

Users who are viewing this thread

Baumgrenze

Reaction score
I wanted to install a washer on a bathroom sink but the shutoff kept a steady flow so I resorted to my main shutoff. The shutoff also had a persistent packing drip. The house was built in 1955. I think this is original equipment.

bob-stop-1.jpg

bob-stop-2.jpg

bob-stop-3.jpg

https://imgur.com/a/LTWoEz4

As you can see, the handle declares it a BOB shutoff. A web search turned up Bob Villa but I found no ready access to information about the maker. It is not leaking right now, but I will certainly need to come back to it in the future. I want to know if the washer (which remained in the valve when I pulled out the stem without removing the handle) is located properly or is even the correct washer. Perhaps it is intended to slip over the mushroom at the end of the stem which might be a design feature allowing a quick change of the washer without unscrewing a stem screw.

I've been tempted to replace the shutoffs with new 1/4 turn ball valves. The connection to the plumbing is a 1/2" brass nipple. I measured across the threads where the hose mounts and found 0.58" which is clearly not 3/8" which seems to be today's standard. At present I believe we will move to a retirement community in a few years. Perhaps I should just leave it to someone else if it continues to work.

Thanks
baumgrenze

Reach4

Reaction score
The connection to the plumbing is a 1/2" brass nipple. I measured across the threads where the hose mounts and found 0.58" which is clearly not 3/8" which seems to be today's standard.
3/8 schedule 40 pipe is 0.675 OD. So given the taper, 0.58" sounds like nominal 3/8.

Grahampoo

Reaction score
That is the correct location for the washer. There should be another larger washer under the nut that you can also replace.

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
Those washers just pop on, but I haven't found a source for those yet. I usually buy a new stop and rob the stem assembly out of it. Screw it in and your done. Different brands seem to be interchangeable, though I had one lately that wouldn't cooperate with me. Haven't met BOB yet.

WorthFlorida

Clinical Trail 5th session completed 4/24/24.
Solutions
Reaction score
Here's BOB. https://www.dultmeier.com/manufacturers/bob-float-valves.php

House built in 1950 and in the NE you probably have 1/2 copper pipe. If there is enough pipe extending out from the wall, with the right tools and finesse, cut off the old valve, smooth the copper pipe of burs and slip on one of these sharkbites. No soldering needed. If not, hardware stores like True Value and Ace, and if you have an old time hardware store in CT, you may be able to buy an entire new stem and cap nut. You may find after all the replacements parts were had, these old suckers will alway weep water.

If the valve is connected with a compression fitting, buying an new valve and just using the entire new valve and reuse the compression nut still on the pipe will also work. If it is soldered on then rebuilding or replacement is the options.

upload_2019-4-25_16-34-22.jpeg

Reach4

Reaction score
How about a side or top view showing the pipe that comes out of the wall, and the part of the valve that connects to that pipe.

That sharkbyte valve can be a very good solution. If you have a compression valve on there, you may be able to pull the stuff off the pipe and put a new compression valve there.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
If it's a brass nipple from the wall, then it's going to be an IP fitting.
Nipples are normally 1/2" ID but I've also seen 3/8" ID nipples and stops. That was in Virginia.
Copper pipe is 5/8" OD.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks