Bathroom Faucet / Sink Change - Sufficient Height for Drain

Users who are viewing this thread

Stewsfarm

Reaction score
Hi, we are changing a vanity top and sink in a 1980 period house. This one is at parents house and so I'm trying to make sure I know what I'm in for before getting started. The current plan is to add a new top that would have an under-mount sink. The new sink height is just under 8"(eight). Given the height of the waste pipe exit into the wall and the alignment of the plumbing, I sense there isn't sufficient height to make things fit. With the bottom of the sink being 8" and considering the need for the stopper part of the drain part, seems there isn't going to be enough space for the trap. I realize options are likely to a) use a different sink and/or b) get into the wall to lower the height of the drain (assuming it is possible). Anthing else obvious i'm missing on this? I"m attaching a picture for clarity. Thank you very much for any input.

IMG_0088 2.jpg

Marlinman

In the Trades
Reaction score
THINK ABOUT USING A REVERSABLE P-TRAP. THE LOW SIDE IS MADE TO ACCEPT A TAILPIECE.

Stewsfarm

Reaction score
Thank - i'll look at a revsersable p-trap. That said, with 8" sink depth - leaving only about 2" between the bottom of the sink and top of the train pipe - it seems the location or height of the pivot in the drainpipe might be too low? To say another way, is there a requirement for how high or low the pivot must be in relationship to the drain pipe? I guess the orientation - or centerline - of the drain and the pipe going to the wall matters. They are generally in alignment meaning the arm from the pivot would hit the drain pipe. I suppose the pipe at the wall could be cut short and the drain turned to one side and then connected to the trap.

Screen Shot 2022-03-06 at 11.24.20 AM.jpg

wwhitney

In the Trades
Reaction score
You could use a push pop-up drain instead of one with a lift rod. I think that would result in a shorter tailpiece on the sink.

Cheers, Wayne

Stewsfarm

Reaction score
You could use a push pop-up drain instead of one with a lift rod. I think that would result in a shorter tailpiece on the sink.

Cheers, Wayne
That's a really good point and appreciate that idea!

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks