Basement sink drains into floor drain to daylight

Users who are viewing this thread

Cnrhome

Reaction score
Hi all,

I put a slop sink in the basement years ago. It drains into a floor drain that runs out behind my house and runs to daylight down a hill. I didn't install a trap or vent because it is open and not sealed into the floor drain. The 2" drain pipe just sits in the 3" or 4" drain hole.

Is it legal for this grey water to just run down a hill? I have 2 acres of property so there is no issue of neighbors or anything.

Thx

FullySprinklered

In the Trades
Reaction score
It's fine until you tell on yourself.
The folks two doors down from me in Dogpatch had 40 acres. The land dropped away into a ravine maybe 100 feet behind their house. They didn't have a septic tank at all. The bluebottle flies took care of everything. Neighbors were relatives and they were too far away to be offended anyway.

Cnrhome

Reaction score
I'm not telling on myself... but a county inspector is coming to verify that the house is up to code.

I'm curious if most areas will flag this... because if so I will dismantle it this wkend before he comes.

Alternety

Like an engineer
Reaction score
There can be other reasons not to go to daylight.

I bought a house with a floor drain. Turns out it went to daylight.

One day I decided to go to the basement. and when I opened the door and turned on the light, there was several feet of a beautiful (probably just molted) copperhead coming up the stairs. I really hated to, but I put a shot shell in a pistol and killed on the stairs. No way I could catch it with all of the stuff in the basement.

Word of advice, if you have an open-to-daylight drain; screen it.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks