Basement Sink Plumbing

Users who are viewing this thread

elockwood

Reaction score
Hello,

I am in the process of adding a kitchenette to our finished basement but have run into a challenge with the plumbing. The basement kitchen is directly below the main floor kitchen. I had hoped to use the existing drain line from the upstairs. However, this is only a 2 in drain and based on my understanding of the plumbing codes that apply here in WA State, this DFU is maxed out since it is draining both a sink and dishwasher from the upstairs. Which would mean there is not a code-compliant way to add a sink to this existing drain pipe.

My other option is to run a trap arm along the back wall and then over to the main drain. The challenge I see with this is the length of the trap arm, it would need to be ~25ft, the sink rough in drain height to maintain slope on the trap arm, and the need to vent the trap arm. I've attached a drawing of what I'm looking at.

Any thoughts on how best to approach this? Thanks

Ok thanks for the help,

I must have been doing a terrible job deciphering the DFU charts I was looking at. One other question if you don't mind, this is the drain from the sink/dishwasher on the main floor and it uses an AAV. Does this create an issue with having an AAV on a single drain on two floors? If not, what height does the basement sink AAV need to be (I've seen 6in above flood level)?

Attachments

• plumbing.JPG
    plumbing.JPG
    36.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_4424 (1).jpg
    IMG_4424 (1).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
8dfu right ? 2 kitchen sinks whats the problem? the pic and drawing I dont quite get but you described a stack with a sink belw and another above 4 fixture units total

elockwood

Reaction score
Thanks! Must have been doing a terrible job deciphering the DFU charts I was looking at. One other question if you don't mind, this is the drain from the sink/dishwasher on the main floor and it uses an AAV. Does this create an issue with having an AAV on a single drain on two floors? If not, what height does the basement sink AAV need to be (I've seen 6in above flood level)?

Attachments

• IMG_4424 (1).jpg
    IMG_4424 (1).jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 47

elockwood

Reaction score
8dfu right ? 2 kitchen sinks whats the problem? the pic and drawing I dont quite get but you described a stack with a sink belw and another above 4 fixture units total
Thanks, added a photo of the drain from the upstairs. It uses an AAV, I'm struggling to understand the code for if/how to connect the basement sink property with AAV on two floors on a single vertical drain.

elockwood

Reaction score
A vertical 2 inch pipe? That can take 16dfu.

A dishwasher doesn't add to the dfu's.
Thanks, added a photo of the drain from the upstairs. It uses an AAV, I'm struggling to understand the code for if/how to connect the basement sink property with AAV on two floors on a single vertical drain.

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks