Backup in Condo

Users who are viewing this thread

Siggy

Reaction score
I recently experienced a back up in my kitchen sink in a 4th floor condo. It occurred when I was away. The water flooded my kitchen and went into my living room. I had a plumber come by and clear the drain using a snake. The snake cleared grease from the line. In the plumber's report he stated that he ran the snake to clear the drain. He had asked me talk to my upstairs neighbor to see if he had experienced any similar issues. I am going through the process of cleaning up the mess in my unit.

So I checked with my insurance and the HOA about the issue I had. The neighbor below me let me know that it affected his unit's living room ceiling and caused damage. I feel bad that my neighbor is dealing with this issue as well. The HOA also is checking out the cause of this. I'm not sure if the clog was in my unit or if it was the unit above mine, any clarification would be great. I feel bad that this happened. I have liability insurance as part of my policy, I just hope we are able to resolve the heartache.

Reach4

Reaction score
recently experienced a back up in my kitchen sink in a 4th floor condo. It occurred when I was away. The water flooded my kitchen and went into my living room. I had a plumber come by and clear the drain using a snake. The snake cleared grease from the line.
You are taking good action. I am glad you had the insurance. Did the water rise in the kitchen sink, and then overflow? I know you were gone, but there may have been a waterline / mark to indicate what happened.

There is just one level above you?

In the future, you and your neighbors should put grease and fat into the garbage, and not into the disposal or sink.

Siggy

Reaction score
You are taking good action. I am glad you had the insurance. Did the water rise in the kitchen sink, and then overflow? I know you were gone, but there may have been a waterline / mark to indicate what happened.

In the future, you and your neighbors should put grease and fat into the garbage, and not into the disposal or sink.

Siggy

Reaction score
There is 1 unit below me and 2 units above me. I'm wondering why the plumber ran the snake upwards. He pulled out a lot of grease. So I'm trying to understand what the issue really was. I just feel awful for my neighbor below because he's dealing with it too.

Siggy

Reaction score
There is 1 unit below me and 2 units above me. I'm wondering why the plumber ran the snake upwards. He pulled out a lot of grease. So I'm trying to understand what the issue really was. I just feel awful for my neighbor below because he's dealing with it too.

Siggy

Reaction score

Reach4

Reaction score
The water may be coming from a above you. That would be why you cannot produce the symptoms on demand.

Terry

The Plumbing Wizard
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
terrylove.com
For your sink to back up, it would have been below you. The neighbor below should have had their sink snaked too.

dwv_b2.jpg

Reaction score
Fantastic posting. I have to ask some questions. Similar issue just happened. 3 unit building. top unit and middle unit have the kitchen in the same exact area. bottom unit kitchen in an entire different area with no common piping. Unit 2 have been gone for two solid months. No water usage and their domestic cold water shut off. I went up to check and they had water backed up in the sink at one point and debris left over. did not backup too much in the sink. Question is then the clog downstream from their kitchen? Also what is contributing to it. Is it both the top and middle unit? Also this thread said the plumber snaked above them? I am trying to understand why he did that when other post said the issue was below.

Jeff H Young

In the Trades
Reaction score
Ive never owned a condo and dont work on them very often . Its interesting and unclear who is responceable for what on condos. certain parts of building like the roof are the associations job to upkeep and repair. If I owned a condo Id take time to find out. I think sometimes pipes beneath the floor above the cieling or inside walls are part of homeowners association dutys. Water damage and cleanup may or maynot be your duty or expence.
must have been a stoppage below you, that guy you feel sorry for may have caused this mess , but not nessesarily .

Hey, wait a minute.

This is awkward, but...

It looks like you're using an ad blocker. We get it, but (1) terrylove.com can't live without ads, and (2) ad blockers can cause issues with videos and comments. If you'd like to support the site, please allow ads.

If any particular ad is your REASON for blocking ads, please let us know. We might be able to do something about it. Thanks.
I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks